• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Rear Bumper Removal

Classics Fan

First post on this forum. I recently acquired a 1972 LeMans with the T41 option (GTO appearance package). It’s a really nice car with 52,000 original miles. The rear bumper is pitted and after pricing having it rechromed ($1,000!) I opted to replace it with a new one manufactured by AMD.

Yesterday I started pulling the old bumper off but found it’s not as straightforward as I had hoped. I ordered a Fisher Body manual but delivery is estimated to be between one and two weeks. I’m hoping someone on this board has the manual and can post the pages(s) that shows the steps for removal. Thanks in advance for any help!
003D70A4-8DC9-4ADD-9AD9-BF8233E30D86.jpeg

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Nice looking car.
Bumper removal is covered in the Service Manual chapter 14.
1. Remove valence.
2. Remove license lamp assembly.
3. Disconnect tail lamps.
4. Support bumper, remove bumper hanger to body bolts.
5. Remove brackets from bumper.

Last edited:

Classics Fan

I appreciate your quick response. It seems straightforward enough, but... step 4 is where I’m hung up. I’m having trouble identifying exactly which bolts are the hangers. Are there any illustrations? Also, since you mentioned the service manual, do you happen to know if the body manual also covers this subject? Thanks again!

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
I do not have a copy of the Fisher body manual.
The end of the two frame rails have brackets on them. The bumper has it's owner brackets that attach to the frame rail brackets.

Attachments