Rebuild question.

Rogersm015

Massachusetts
I have been breaking down my 400 for a rebuild. Today I was degreasing the block. When I was using air to blow dry it I put air through the oil passages for the lifters, a weird silver putty like goop came out of the passages. Any idea what this could be? Just wondering if it’s something I should be concerned about.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
not knowing the history of the engine makes it difficult to answer especially without seeing/feeling it. Could be bearing material but purely a guess. You are sending the block and heads out to a machine shop to be checked/worked on?

G

G-12558

not knowing the history of the engine makes it difficult to answer especially without seeing/feeling it. Could be bearing material but purely a guess. You are sending the block and heads out to a machine shop to be checked/worked on?
I’m sending out the block, probably getting new heads because I want to up the performance a little.

Rogersm015

Massachusetts
I’m sending out the block. Still tossing around the idea of replacing the heads to up the performance a little.

Rogersm015

Massachusetts
Thank you. I was thinking it might have been something like that. It was just too consistent a texture and color. It makes sense.