• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

remove the flex plate away from the torque converter. 64 Bonneville jetaway.

gsgtx

what does it take to remove the flex plate away from the torque converter with tranny still in car. how many bolts.

gsgtx

i took one nut off to check. the bolt stud stays there. not sure i can push converter back into the tranny to clear the studs to start the engine. thanks for the help so far.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
what exactly are you trying to do by starting the engine with the torque converter disconnected?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
So why have you ruled out an engine problem?
have you confirmed every cylinder is firing by a simple pull the wire out of the cap test?
have you pulled the plugs and looked at them?
have you done a compression test?
have you checked for a vacuum leak?

gsgtx

So why have you ruled out an engine problem?
have you confirmed every cylinder is firing by a simple pull the wire out of the cap test?
have you pulled the plugs and looked at them?
have you done a compression test?
have you checked for a vacuum leak?
i never ruled it out. i did all the above plus new pertronix and coil and carb. trying to rule out the tranny. now i have a newer damper coming. and old trouble shooter for gm looked at it and said it was not a engine miss.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
None of the spark plugs looked fowled?
If you hold you hand slightly over the primary side of the carburetor to enrichen the mixture, it doesn't smooth out?
you have tested the plug wires and have nothing over 1k/foot of wire?
you are using the original type of carburetor, I believe a Carter AFB?
when setting the idle mixture the engine will stall if you screw the mixture screws all the way in?