Safari wagon

I’m getting a 1960 Catalina Safari wagon......
Needs a few things..... hood.... windshield.... horn ring.... get engine running... I’m waiting for it to be delivered......
I have a 1960 Pontiac Ventura 4door.... ( no post )
I was going to fix but in looking for parts I found the wagon.....
Bin trying to sell with no luck....
Can I use it for parts for the wagon.....???

Is the wagon I’m getting considered a hardtop or sedan wagon...??
From what I’ve seen parts are slightly different between hardtop and sedan.....
thank you

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
a wagon is a sedan. You never seem to buy anything easy to restore like a tempest/lemans/gto. Some of the parts will interchange. Good luck with your project.

cammerjeff

Belleville MI
Every thing from the firewall forward will fit, the trim may differ between models but the sheet metal is the same. The windshield of a wagon and a 4-door sedan should be the same, but it may differ with your Ventura as you say it is a 4 door HT. Usually the 4-door sedan and Wagon have a slightly higher roof line, usually less than 2 inch's than the 2 door or 4 door HT's. But measure to be sure.

Good luck on the Safari, not many of them left. The fancier interior of the Ventura should bolt in with the exception of the rear seat.

a wagon is a sedan. You never seem to buy anything easy to restore like a tempest/lemans/gto. Some of the parts will interchange. Good luck with your project.
Sorry but I’ve had the normal Pontiacs all ready..... {Firebird..many... Fiero many...Grand Prix... }
Wanted to go different route but stay in the Pontiac family......
The wagon is going to be a fun build..... I hope... lol

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
have you sprayed any available openings to the latch mechanism with any kind of penetrating product such as WD40?

Good morning everyone
I was able to climb in and remove the inside panel off the tailgate....
Both panel and inside bottom of tailgate rotted.....so now I’m in search of a tailgate for a 1960 Pontiac Catalina Safari wagon.....
Any ideas on where I can get one....?????
Thank you

Still having issues posting pictures on here......
I only have my iPhone X..... no computer.... as my old apple computer doesn’t work and have not replaced it because we do everything from the iPhone.......
I have plenty of pictures of the wagon and the Ventura..... Wagon needs front fenders....rockers.....floors ....and a tailgate..... plan on taking the whole front clip from Ventura.... also plan on salvaging as much of the floor from Ventura (it needs floors too but not nearly as bad as the wagon){only a few differences between the two from what I can see}....Ventura also has clean rockers...... so the Ventura(roof rotted.... trunk rotted....) will be sacrificed to save the Safari wagon.....
Both have a 389.... wagon is locked up..... well the Ventura’s is now also.... but it did spin freely when I first got it so I’m not to worried about it...... maybe make one good motor out of the two.... or not go through all that headache and just find a running 389 to swap in..... lol
That’s everything I can think of...... oh I’m not a body guy or a welder but this wagon is going to teach me how..... lol

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
You may want to consider looking at sites such as www.oldride.com where there maybe more people trying to restore early sixties large body cars. In the early 60's each GM division did its own thing unlike in the late 70's when GM started to consolidate the usage of parts across the different divisions.

Good morning everyone
I may have my floors figured out... meaning I have to spend some money on some new metal ( like almost $2000. .... )and have to salvage the complete left front kick panel and complete rockers from the Ventura..... ( have to research to see that the rockers are the same.... was told that they could be slightly different making it much more difficult to put on the wagon) floor in Ventura not worth saving..... floors in wagon (with the big holes are in better shape than what is in the Ventura they are both rusted but Ventura has had water underneath the carpet and slowly rotted the floors so all the solid looking metal is junk....... my body shop friend came and looked at them......) trying to free up both 389’s so I can take them apart and rebuild one....but may have found a complete refreshed 389..... more money that I don’t have..... lol
Still may need a Pontiac tailgate......??? Maybe I can rebuild mine ( rotted on inside bottom... )using parts from a Chevy tailgate (cut and weld ) both should be the same except the outside metal...???
Well I think I covered everything.....
I may have forgot something.... just let me know....
Thank you everyone
Please keep in touch cause I’m not out of the woods yet..... lol...... lots of work ahead
Oh still can’t post pictures from my iPhone......

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.