Selling 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTX

Puertoecuanama

Hello Everyone,

I am looking to sell a silver 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTX. While the car's exterior and interior condition are mostly intact and in good shape, the mechanical condition of the car is not. However, because I am not qualified to diagnose or fix the car's mechanical issues and because the car carries sentimental value (as it was passed on to me by my father when he passed away), I would prefer to sell it to someone who likes Pontiacs, knows what they are doing, and can take care of the car, rather than just sending it to a junkyard.

As of right now, the car has 5 known mechanical issues, as follows:
  1. The car will not start. The problem does not seem to be electrical, as all the lights in the car turn on, and I tested the battery, which seemed to be in good condition. However, when attempting to start the car, the car cranks a bit, but does not complete the process of turning over.
  2. The fuel gauge is not working properly. As the fuel in the tank approaches a quarter-tank, the fuel gauge starts moving in various directions. It also seems to be affected by the level of the car, as when the car is inclined on a hill, the gauge will behave erratically.
  3. The AC does not work in the summer, particularly when idling or driving slowly. It typically works fine when driving on the highway.
  4. While the turning signals typically work fine, there are random moments when they will turn off unexpectedly, without any warning.
  5. I posted a few months ago about an issue, related to high RPM's, often after driving long distances, when it is cold outside, or when the car is inclined.
As far as I know, these are the major issues the car is dealing with at the moment. The car currently has about 89,000 miles. If you are interested in more information about the car, or just interested in the car in general, please let me know. Thank you.

Edit: The car is in NYC. Sorry, I thought I mentioned this.

Attachments

Last edited:

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Getting the car to start will increase any chances of selling the car.
In addition stating approximately where the car is located would help.

Puertoecuanama

Getting the car to start will increase any chances of selling the car.
In addition stating approximately where the car is located would help.
Thanks for the heads up: didn't realize that I didn't put a location!

As for starting it up, I think I will have a difficult time doing so. However, I can give it another try. Do you think that will completely prevent any interest?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Makes more sense to get it running and not have to bargain because it wont start. How did you test the battery?

Puertoecuanama

Makes more sense to get it running and not have to bargain because it wont start. How did you test the battery?
While true, I would not really want to deal with the hassle of towing the car to the mechanic, only to find that the price of fixing the car will be the same as buying a new car. I'd rather sell as is.

I used a multimeter to test the battery.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Did you try jump starting it with another car?
Did you try removing the battery and load testing it?
Two things that wont cost you anything and dont involve a mechanic.

Puertoecuanama

Surprisingly, I thought I had tried jump starting it already, but my gf just confirmed that I never got around to it. Will give it a try and come back as soon as I do.