shuttering when letting clutch out

dstockert

when letting clutch out on my 66 gto with 4 speed muncie, I get a shutter. More rpm's helps. downshifting I get a shutter. recently replaced clutch plate, reconditioned fly wheel, replace bearings and realigned rear end. better but still shutters. ??? anybody? thanks

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Did you replace the pilot bushing?
You replaced the clutch plate, did that include clutch disc and throw out bearing?
How many miles since replacement?
What brand and part number clutch?

cammerjeff

Belleville MI
One time I had a similure issue about 20 years ago, it ended up being the flywheel, it had been overheated so badly that it had created hot spots on the disc mating surface, and they could not be machined out. I replaced the flywheel and disk and the issue went away.

Also make sure your rear main seal isn't leaking, any oil on the clutch will cause that issue.

dstockert

Did you replace the pilot bushing?
You replaced the clutch plate, did that include clutch disc and throw out bearing?
How many miles since replacement?
What brand and part number clutch?
Yes, pilot bearing, disc, throw out bearing replaced with McLeod kit. Working on getting part number. Shutter got better but still there. Right after changes. Few miles.

Yes, pilot bearing, disc, throw out bearing replaced with McLeod kit. Working on getting part number. Shutter got better but still there. Right after changes. Few miles.
If the parts are correct & you swapped the pressure plate, clutch disc, pilot & throwout bearings, then its either a cracked flywheel or a leaking rear main seal.
But what was not mentioned was the gear(s) is was acting up in.
If its first & reverse, then you need to have the tranny fixed for the 1st/reverse gear.
If its all gears, check the flywheel & quit doing burnouts.
A recon flywheel can still be bad.
They only replace the tooth ring.