slipped timing chain?

jo97

Hello fellow Vibe owners, newbie w/ some questions. Daughters '09 Vibe (base) 2Zr 1.8 158,000 miles was parked on the street one Sunday ago and went out to move for snowplow following AM, car would not start. Turns over, won't fire, no codes. Checked compression (cold, obviously) 60 cyl #1 and almost zero in remaining 3. Pulled valve cover, chain is intact, but sloppy between camshaft sprockets. Did a leakdown test and turned engine by hand and almost no compression at all (through full rotation), Again cylinder 1 ran highest. I am suspecting that the tensioner failed and perhaps the chain jumped the sprocket. The chain does appear to be intact, but marked links are one ahead (cam sprocket mark) on exhaust cam and 2 ahead on intake.
My question is should links and timing marks on sprockets, pulley, etc. all line up with every revolution of timing chain? I know that on timing belts there is what is referred to as "hunting" and there may be many multiple revs until timing marks line up a 2nd time. Since I am turning the crankshaft with a ratchet, my wrist may be paralyzed before I complete even 5 rotations. So wondering if anyone has experienced a similar problem and might be able to give some direction regarding the situation. Any questions or responses would be appreciated. PS did attempt forum search, but came up empty. JO

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
One revolution of the crankshaft will either show the marks correctly aligned or exactly opposite of where they should be.
So after the first if they dont align do a second and if they still dont align, the chain has slipped.

jo97

Thanks much Mel. I'm pretty sure the thing has slipped, but still working on establishing the repair plan. Pull engine or attempt where it sits. Also want to make sure that I can rotate the cams by hand and establish cylinder compression once the chain has been removed. Wish me luck! And thanks again!

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Any chance the engine had become noisier than usual before the problem?

jo97

I changed the oil on Sat. Rode as passenger Sat night, daughter drove it Sunday. Everything fine. Monday morning would not start. I live in Minnesota, it was below freezing, but not terribly cold. Believe me, I'm scratching my head too. I have several other projects that I need to wrap before cracking engine, but will keep you up to date on the progress. Thanks for all!