Squealing Noise While Driving

FU_SU_LU

Reaction score
Driving a 2007 Pontiac G6 2.4L

I get a high pitched LOUD squealing noise when I drive sometimes, it's not every time. It only seems to happen when I drive for several minutes on the interstate, I haven't had it happen while driving in the city. Imagine turning an old crank to something and it making that stereotypical squeaking sound, but really really fast. It'll just start all of a sudden while I'm driving straight. If I turn my steering wheel slightly, such as changing lanes, it stops, but it starts right back when I straighten out. It also stops when I use my brakes. Accelerating or coasting doesn't change anything. Once it starts, it doesn't stop till I get to my destination, which is either work or home, turn the car off and not run it for several hours or the next day. Can't tell where, or which side it's coming from, it's pretty loud though.

Thanks for any help you can give.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
Not knowing where the noise is coming from makes it difficult to narrow down the source. It could be wheel bearings, CV joint, brakes, engine accessory belt, alternator bearing etc. If you cannt narrow it down have it checked before something fails and leaves you on the side of the road.