SSEI misses coming off of Idle

greasemonkeyjmj

Like the title says, I have a 01 SSEI, with 140k miles. There is no SES light on.Car runs good at idle, no misses, runs good on the highway. The problem is that when I come off of idle, it stutters when you first mash the pedal, it happens whether you are in gear, or in park. I can power brake the car, and it does the same think, misses coming off of idle, but clears up after it gets past a certain point. Car had a SES light on when I bought it 3 weeks ago, the upper intake gasket was blown out under the supercharger snout. I did not have the miss before I changed the intake gasket. maybe it could be a vacuum leak somewhere?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
I would think a vacuum leak or even a miss would throw a SES light.
Did you recheck the bolts after the engine completely cooled?
Can you do a fuel pressure test?
Check the vacuum line going to the fuel pressure regulator for gasoline.
You are using the stock air filter?

greasemonkeyjmj

I will spray some carb cleaner and check the hoses for vacuum leaks

I did not recheck the bolts after engine cooled

I think I may have a fuel pressure tester

I will check the pressure regulator hose for fuel

yes it is a stock filter

thanks

greasemonkeyjmj

O.K. so far this afternoon, the only thing I have gotten done was to check for a vacuum leak. I spent a long while going over every hose and connector, and intake mating area with carb cleaner and I found no vacuum leaks. I had not taken a look at the plugs yet, so I pulled a couple of them out, and this is what they Autolite APP 606 plugs look like.

Attachments

greasemonkeyjmj

More info, I was wanting to check my fuel pressure at the rail, but apparently I dont have a fuel pressure tester.

I pulled the vacuum line from the regulator and could not see any fuel in the hose.

I did notice that it does not only do it from a idle, it will do it no matter what rpm you are at, I was at 2k and the 2.5 k and when I would push the accelerator, it would do the the same thing as it does coming from a idle.

greasemonkeyjmj

Good morning,
the plugs are gapped at .060

I rechecked the torque on the upper intake bolts this morning an all were fine

I bought a fuel pressure tester and with key on engine off, I have 46 psi at the rail. with engine running I have 44 psi, I can pull the vacuum hose off of the pressure regulator while running, and the pressure goes up to 50 psi.

I tried to buy a set of plug wires, and no one in the two towns around me had any, it will be tomorrow before I can get them.

I know they are different, and I am not going to try it, but what happens if someone puts wires from a normal 3800 on the Supercharged 3800?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
I cannt imagine the wires are made from a different material just that they could be a different length. If you have an ohmmeter you can test them, 1k per foot of wire is the standard. Have you checked the coils for loose connections or corrosion?

greasemonkeyjmj

O.K. as of this morning, it feels as if the car has developed a rougher idle.

I also swapped the plug wires, and it made no difference in my problem. and the rough idle was there before I swapped the wires

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.