Starting Disabled due to Electronic throttle Control

travis_0

Hi all,
2007 Grad Prix, 3.8L. Engine has been stalling while driving, and dash reads "Starting disabled due to electronic throttle control," "Reduced engine Power." There was a check engine light, and was scanned for only an o2 sensor (which I already knew about). There hasn't been a check engine light lately, but still stalling, so I just put a new accelerator sensor (w/pedal) and it Hasn't helped. Next move to a new throttle body? Just not sure what to do. Thanks!

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
You need to have it scanned by a diagnostic tool capable of reading what is really going on rather than throwing parts at the problem.

travis_0

It has been scanned, the only code has been the o2 sensor. Scanned By a family member (a former service manager, now retired, at the local GM dealership, and has his own scan tool) as well as one from O'Reilly's. Still, only the o2 sensor

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Sorry but if you have that message coming up and your not using a Tech II or lap top loaded with the appropriate software a regular scanner will not help you diagnose the issue. it is NOT a case of looking for a stored code it is a case of running a set of diagnostics. Did your family member use a Tech II?

travis_0

No he doesn't, but I just took it to the local GM dealer and had a full diagnostic check, but they only came back with an o2 sensor. They checked grounds, resistance, PCM, nothing else came back as a possible issue.

travis_0

That is correct. One guy told me it was because of the o2 sensor, and was going to charge me $150 for a new one + installing. I have access to a 2 post lift and can easily replace most parts myself, but I just have no idea with this issue. I have an hour long commute to work, and am currently using my moms Malibu while they use my Grand prix with only a 10 minute commute. Possibly the actual Throttle sensor, or crankshaft sensor? Its not the throttle body, I know that. Buddy had a brand new in from the box we put that one on and still have the issue

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
I would try another dealer, just doesn't make sense why they cant diagnose the cause of the message. Found this online for you to try.
disconnect battery
unplug the ETC
reinstall the plug on the ETC reconnect battery
make sure key is off during all this and your not touching the gas pedal
after you do all that turn the on but do not start the vehicle,, you should hear the plate trying to recalibrate, wait about 2 mini, turn the key off, and try to restart the car, again dont touch the gas pedal until it is started
this is due to either a failure or your vehicle theft system , so also try putting your key in the drivers door, locking and unlocking with the key

It further states if that doesn't resolve the issue the dealer is supposed to re calibrate the ETC.