Steering Issue 65 Goat

chiefjohn

I have just finished installing a 400 block in my 65 GTO and am using Ram Air Restoration cast iron headers. On the drivers side the steering coupling is rubbing the front header bolt when turning the wheel. Too dangerous to drive like this and I'm wondering if anyone out there has had this problem. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

chiefjohn

Steering Issue

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I bought new mounts from Ames. 64-74 except 455. My block is a 1968 with 1975 6x heads.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Have you contacted Ram Air Restoration with your problem?
Can you post a picture?
Any knowledge of the history of the car, major accident causing frame damage?

chiefjohn

Steering Issue

Talked to ram air first thing and their reply was that they never had an issue. I will likely take the car to a good frame shop for an evaluation. Can't think of anything else.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
the link below shows how close the coupling is to headers so I have a better idea of your issue. Any point in contacting Ames about the motor mounts they gave you and what about the transmission mount. Is there any play in the mount that you could shift the whole engine/transmission assembly away from the coupling?

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/how-to-upgrade-a-1965-pontiac-tempest-power-steering/

chiefjohn

Steering Issue

Clearance in the picture looks, as much as I can tell, similar to the clearance on my 65 Lemans which seems quite adequate. On my GTO the bracket on the steering shaft rubs the header bolt on the side and comes within 1/8th to 1/4 " of striking the header. I hadn't thought of engine cradle sag but what spec. would you use to determine that? I changed out the engine mounts which appear to be identical and no changed there. I did note that Ames list a different mount for a 455 block and wondered about the guy having clearance issues with his 428 block.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
havent come across that spec but I know from C3 corvettes you measure across from the two points where the upper control arms attach to the frame. Again it seems that would be something that a body shop with a frame rack might have. Found a book that has the dimensions Pontiac GTO Restoration Guide, by Paul Zazarine and Chuck Roberts and here is a link with the pictures from the book
http://www.gtoforum.com/f122/frame-measurements-30803/

chiefjohn

Steering Issue

I've discovered two problems. Compared another pair of motor mounts (same part # ) and slightly different. Installed they raise the engine for 1/4" additional clearance but not enough. I also noticed the rag joint is wrinkled ( stretched to reach shaft ). If the shaft was down where it should be the clearance from manifold would be much better. Does anyone know the procedure to loosen the column to force the shaft closer to the rag joint?

Thanks,

John

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
why would the steering column shaft be different on a GTO? Yes they use same rag joint just different between manual steering and PS.

avell007

I know you have the mounts situated just saying I also used mounts from Ames and had the center link touch the oil pan in a 65 Lemans on a right turn. Pretty sour they sell bad mounts , not high enough .
Before you go crazy with the rag joint just have a look at the body mounts in the firewall area .

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.