• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Strange Engine Problem

Hurricane87

I have an 07 GXP. During city driving only, sometimes the radio will get very loud, the speedometer fluctuates, and the engine shuts off. Sometimes, only the first two things happen.

Any ideas?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
If you are driving at very slow speeds and the charging system or the battery connection is marginal unusual things can occur. Check the battery connections, the condition of the battery, and if the charging system is working correctly at low engine speeds.

Hurricane87

Turns out it's the vehicle speed sensor. Someone posted a how-to video on another thread, but it's useless. Has anyone here changed this sensor?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Have you looked for 4T65E vehicle speed sensor location. Your check engine light is off?

Hurricane87

Have you looked for 4T65E vehicle speed sensor location. Your check engine light is off?
I know the location of the speed sensor. The problem is, it's not reachable from the side, even after removing the wheel. I don't have a lift. I need to know if there's another way to reach the passenger side of the transmission.

It's not throwing a code.

Hurricane87

I paid someone to change the sensor. It's now worse--the cruise control shuts itself off. I've also changed the battery terminals. Any other ideas? Please don't say "grounds." It's a Florida car which started its life in Oklahoma. Nothing is rusted.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Did you check any of the other things I suggested concerning the engine running at low speeds and what the charging system is doing at those speeds?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
So your first post states only city driving, does it stall as you come to a stop or at say 30 mph it can stall?
Does the stalling coincide with hitting a bump in the road?

Hurricane87

So your first post states only city driving, does it stall as you come to a stop or at say 30 mph it can stall?
Does the stalling coincide with hitting a bump in the road?
It stalls mostly, but not entirely, while stopped. It also stalls sometimes while in motion, including while rolling out of the driveway while the engine is still cold (to perhaps anticipate your next question).

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
No check engine light?
You have a lockup torque converter which should release when you come to a stop, if it doesn't the car stalls.
The other possibility is the throttle body or idle air control valve needs cleaning.
These items though dont tie in with the speedometer issue.

Hurricane87

No check engine light?
You have a lockup torque converter which should release when you come to a stop, if it doesn't the car stalls.
The other possibility is the throttle body or idle air control valve needs cleaning.
These items though dont tie in with the speedometer issue.
It doesn't always still when I come to a stop. Usually, I come to a stop BECAUSE it stalls.