Strange Noise

whitehawk97

Florida
The only way I know how to describe this noise is it sounds like a cricket. I only hear it during low to moderate acceleration. I'm not saying it isn't there under hard acceleration, but I can't hear it then. I can not determine which end of the car it is coming from.

It's a 2009 G6 GT convertible with the 3.5ltr auto trans.

Any ideas? Heard this too?

Thanks in advance.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
without you being able to narrow it down to which end or side of the car, telling you over the internet what the cause is, is highly doubtful. It could be brakes, wheel bearing, CV joint, accessory drive belt, etc. Find a local repair shop you trust and have someone ride with you so that you can point out the noise.

whitehawk97

Florida
I believe I can eliminate the brakes, wheel bearings and CV joints, as the noise remains the same even when I shift the car's weight from side to side on acceleration. I thought about the idler pulley/accessary belt, but the pitch of the noise never changes with RPM's. My concern is it may be coming from the transmission. Any thoughts?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
You still cannt tell which end of the car or which side? How is "shift the car's weight from side to side on acceleration" a valid way of checking wheel bearings, brakes, and CV joints? Did you remove any of the wheels to check the brakes? Did you jack up the car and check for excessive play in the wheel bearings? Did you check the transmission fluid level and condition, if you dont have a dipstick it has to be raised level and the fill plug removed.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.