Stray wire at starter

twinspar

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm reinstalling an engine in a 1988 Sunbird GT Turbo (that I didn't take out). I've pretty much got all the engine wiring sorted out, but have a single unidentified wire in the harness where the fusible links and the black start lead (with ring terminal) come out of the harness. It is tan with a white spiral tracer. It appears to have been cut clean - there is no terminal nor frayed strands - just a blunt wire, about 4 inches long from where it exits the harness. I've identified the oil pressure/fuel cut off connector and the knock sensor connector which are also in this vicinity. Anybody know what this tan wire is for?

92 Sunbird LE

Reaction score
I might be able to help, I have a 92 GM shop manual but its buried in my stuff and have to check tomorrow and get back to you. It may be a dead end since 91 was the last year for the turbo engine.

Doug in P.R. :cool:

92 Sunbird LE

Reaction score
Best I can do.....looks like it goes go the fuse box to run the A/C or blower fan, and coolant fan. Runs from the alternator....in 92.
20210426_131757.jpg 20210426_131843.jpg

Doug in P.R.:cool:

twinspar

Reaction score
Best I can do.....looks like it goes go the fuse box to run the A/C or blower fan, and coolant fan. Runs from the alternator....in 92.
View attachment 5747 View attachment 5748

Doug in P.R.:cool:
Hi Doug, thanks so much for your assistance. I'm going to leave the wire unattended at this point, and once I get the engine running, I'll see what circuit(s) are not functioning. The wire is easy to get to, so putting it in it's place shouldn't be too difficult. I'll keep you posted......

92 Sunbird LE

Reaction score
These cars are famous for running a full harness for everything, even though the car might not have the options when built.

Doug in P.R. :cool:

Last edited: