• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Tail lights

dj92alx

I have a 1996 Pontiac Bonneville SSEI my tail lights and license plate lights are not coming on at night but the break lights work. I just changed the bulbs today and the bulbs will light up for the brake light but just for the running tail light it's not lit. I did check the parking lamp fuse, and the fuse is good. Can someone please assist

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
can you check the bulb socket for power with a voltmeter or test light?
you could have a bad switch, a broken wire, or a bad ground.

dj92alx

can you check the bulb socket for power with a voltmeter or test light?
you could have a bad switch, a broken wire, or a bad ground.
I don't have a voltmeter but the same socket is used for the brake lights in the brake lights still work, plus the license plate bulb is out after it being replaced and that runs off the tail light circuit also.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
doesnt the socket have two contacts?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
back to a bad switch or ground but it can be confirmed by working with a voltmeter and ohmmeter to see if power is going in to the correct socket contact and that the ground is good

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
Could also be corroded wires, you are going to have to follow the harness from the rear to the front. If there are connectors in the harness, check them also for corrosion.

On most GM cars of this era, the wires run inside the car on the driver's side.

Usually just speaker wires run on the passenger side.

Black ( ground) , brown , green and yellow are usually the light wires. They are usually together.

Doug in P.R. šŸ˜Ž