Tailgate won't open

sir_78

Reaction score
Hi everyone my first time here and need some help. I have a 2009 Torrent and the tailgate won't open. I've tried replacing the actuator, the release switch, checked all fuses, even got new key fobs and programmed but still nothing.

Any suggestions?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
To be clear, you can manually open it?

sir_78

Reaction score
Yes I can manually open it from inside by using a screwdriver.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
Do you have a test light or voltmeter to check the various parts of the circuit?

sir_78

Reaction score
Have power to all of it. I thought it was the actuator but replaced with new one. Is it possible the new one is faulty?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
Have power to all of it. I thought it was the actuator but replaced with new one. Is it possible the new one is faulty?
If you have power at the actuator then the problem could be poor ground or bad actuator.

omologato

Reaction score

The problem most likely was never the actuator which is why replacing it didn't work.

You have power to all of it, I'm assuming you have a test light or meter and see power at the switch and at the actuator? If it's a test light I recommend learning to use a multimeter especially if you do not have a high impedance test light, a regular bulb style light can damage computers that don't like low impedance loads. That, and seeing exact voltage readings is a big part of diagnostics.

Simplest way to test to see if it's the switch is to pull the wire connector off the switch and jump the two wires in the harness together with a paper clip to see if it unlocks. I'd usually recommend using the multimeter in continuity mode and manually push the switch to see if you have continuity through the switch when pressing it but the switch is inside the rear lifgate and hard to get leads in the back of the switch to test.

When the liftgate is up you should be able to see the wire loom that brings the harness from the vehicle body to the liftgate, it's a black rubber flexible accordion looking thing going between main body and liftgate. You'll need to pop one end out of the wire loom out from the orifice to access the wires inside. Manufacturers use the shortest wires possible to save pennies, often they cut it too close and there is stress on some of the wires and they eventually tear the tiny copper strands to the point where the conductor fails. You may have power to the liftgate but other wires such as a dedicated ground or signal wires might be damaged.

I'd test the switch first by removing the electrical connector and use a paper clip to jump the two wires in the connector together, the paper clip is now the switch. If that doesn't work report back and I'll check all-data for a wiring diagram to help you diagnose the electrical. You can also pull one side of the loop out to inspect the wires also if bypassing the switch doesn't work. Since the FOB doesn't work my guess is the switch on the liftgate isn't broken and you have other wiring problems, most likely in the loom between gate and body.

G

G-381861

We had to replace the switch in our tailgate. But I will also say we had to fix wiring because rats chewed some of it off...