The accelerator, brake pedals, and steering wheel do not work when the car is in reverse or drive

meyer

Reaction score
Hello,

Here's what happened:

After switching to R, the car went back (I was on a hill), but I could not press the brake and gas pedals, so I had to switch to P to stop the car. It was not possible to use any pedals and the steering wheel. Also, I got a yellow engine sign. After turning off and on the car, everything became normal and the engine sign disappeared. What happened? It's winter now, but that day it was about from -5 to -8. I used the car almost all day with breaks. I periodically had to wait in the car, turning it off and on again to warm up. And one time I turned it on and this happened.
I appreciate any help, Thank you!

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
Based on your description the engine stalled. Do you let the engine run for 15 seconds or so when it is already up to operating temperature before putting it into a gear?

92 Sunbird LE

Reaction score
Cars need to warm up for a couple of minutes when first started, damage can happen if you start it and start driving right away. Engine won't last long either if don't warm it up first. ( especially in cold weather )

Get a remote start installed or an extra door key to lock the car while it's warming up. Should keep an extra key in your wallet anyways in case you lock the keys in your car .

Doug in P.R.šŸ˜Ž