This is a Little Strange!

87 GP

Reaction score
For the last few days I've been noticing a puddle under my 87 GP 305 chevy in the area of the water pump. Looked like it might be running down the lower radiator hose. Never actually saw it leaking, just would see the wet spot after the car sat for awhile. So today I hooked up a radiator pressure tester to test the 15 psi system. Pumped it 15 psi, no leaks. Pumped a little more to 18 psi, no leaks. Pumped more to 20 psi, no leaks. Pumped it up to 22 psi and left it for about 15 minutes. Still no leaks and the system was still holding the 22 psi. So that would seem like no internal or external leaks. The engine was warm. Now I'm thinking maybe when it cools down and the metal parts contract, there is enough space in a seal on the water pump shaft to drip.

Any thoughts?

C

Carl Stevenson

It sounds very much like the pump. Can you get a mirror and look under the pump at the "weep" hole on the pump? It will usually have a stain around it if its been leaking.

Carl

427HEMIPONTIAC

Reaction score
SE Wisconsin, just beyond the cheddar curtain
Yup, I would lean towards the WP weep hole too. A friend of mine with a 96 Burb had one that was only 68K miles that was leaking (454). Look for the stains, if it has been going on for a while, that is it.

My 85 Cutlass would hold pressure in the system till morning (only a psi or 2), so I knew just how good that system was. See if it will hold to some pressure overnight. It might only be leaking at say 9 psi, above and below that it might move the seal enough to make it seal.

D

davidslair

the wp weep hole is there to give you a very early warning sign that your pump seal is failing, dont wait for a bigger puddle