throttle is harder when engine hot

Nexia86

Germany
Hi there,

when my engine (400cui 1974, TH700R4) is fully warmed up (hot), it feels like the throttle pedal moves harder towards the bottom than when still cold or just warm. I´m not sure if this has to do with the TV cable? The return spring of the throttle can´t get harder when hot I believe...

cammerjeff

Belleville MI
I would disconnect the cables 1 at a time from the carb to narrow down if it is a cable issue, or possibly the butterfly's in the carb base plate causing the issue.

Disconnect a cable when it is warm and push the peddle down, if no change tray the other cable. If still no change disconnect both of them and work the throttle by hand and see if it is the carb itself.

What type of carb are you running, Q-Jet, Holley, or Edelbrock? Or something different?

Nexia86

Germany
It's a brand new Edelbrock so I wouldn't believe this is the reason. When the engine is in P or N it goes much easier, so probably something with the TV cable / tranny? Transmission oil looks good, doesn't smell and has the right level.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
do you have a stock spread bore intake manifold?
did you use a intake manifold adapter to install the Edelbrock?
you are sure the throttle plates arent rubbing against the holes in the manifold/adapter?

Nexia86

Germany
I used an edelbrock adapter so there should be nothing colliding. But why is that only happening when the engine / tranny is hot? I need to do some tests , maybe something is expanding when hot and rubbing at each other...

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Loosen the bolts that hold the carburetor down, fully open the throttle by hand, and center the carburetor so that the blades do not contact the adaptor.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.