Tips on Removing Front Brake Drum/Hub

I found a nice 1968 Lemans a few weeks ago and was able to pick it up at what I think was a reasonable price. Drum brakes on all four corners. The front brake drum and hub are an assembly. I looked in the service manual and it said simply remove it. I googled how to remove the drum and hub but came up empty. This has all the indications that it’s really simple and straightforward but I have to ask the question. How do you remove the front brake drum and hub on a ‘68??

spectrumad

midwest
Remove the bearing dust cap with a flat screw driver. Inside, remove the cotter key and then the castle nut. After that you should be able to slide the drum assembly off, unless you need to back off the brakes. This is how most front drums are assembled, although I have never had the pleasure of tearing into a 68.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
After you remove the cotter pin and the nut there is a flat washer and the outer wheel bearing. The inner bearing is retained by the grease seal.
Why are you removing the drum?

Last edited:
After you remove the cotter pin and the nut there is a flat washer and the outer wheel bearing. The inner bearing is retained by the grease seal.
Why are you removing the drum?
I finally have the car on the lift. Changed the oil and filter, flushed the cooling system and spent the better part of two days cleaning who knows how many years of oil, grease and road grime from the front suspension and steering components. The ball joint grease zerks weren’t even visible. I want to pull the drums to inspect the brakes. No signs of problems but I want to put my eyes in them to gauge how much wear there is on the shoes and drums.