Tire problems...

JBlast

Iowa
Anyone else been dumb enough to try putting on new tires by thenselves without a tire mounting machine?
Trying to put new rear tires on my 06 GP GXP. Previous owner used bead sealant on the old ones. Managed to get them off with alot of lube and physical force. The problem is- I can't get the new ones on. This is my first time changing low pros. I've watched videos on guys doing 18 and 19 inch low pro tires and they go on slick as snot. These are the stock wheels and there is no real center drop out on them. They are narrower behind the front of the wheel and I can push one side down that far, but there is too much tire at the other side to be able to get it to go over the rim. I have tried mounting front to back and back to front of the wheel, but the back of the wheel is always the issue. I can get one side of the tire on mounting from the front, but again, there is too much wheel on the back to get the tire stretched over it.
These are 225/50ZR18 95W. Same size as I took off.
Anyone have any suggestions aside from taking them to a shop?
20200524_161449.jpg
20200524_161504.jpg

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Cannt imagine trying that on any kind of modern tire. The next problem will be tire balance.
Shops aren't open yet in your area?

JBlast

Iowa
No shops open. The long story is- one rear tire had a bad valve. I took it off to change the valve. The tire is down to the cord and won't hold air. I ordered two new rear tires thinking I could change them in an afternoon. Or, at least the very leaky one. The other has a very slow leak. Figured I could get the worst one changed, then drive it to a shop and get the other one changed out and both balanced.
The shop closest to me was iffy about changing out tires that customers bring in, even though they are brand new with stickers still on them. For safety reason, I really don't want the car on jack stands in the driveway. Too many smaller kids running around the neighborhood.
Trying to find a friend, or friend of a friend, locally that might have even a Harbor Freight tire mounter. Everyone is busy with holiday weekend stuff. I guess I should've known this wasn't going to be as easy as all the videos say it is! Yeah, I can change tall tires all day long. Just never done low pros before and wasn't smart enough to consider the difference a sidewall makes.