Trans cooler and need some serious help here!!

SammieJ88

Reaction score
Okay guys I am absolutely f-ing confused here. I'm Sammie by the way and I own a 2006 grand prix GXP, she is known as Jezabel or Level Up. I am in the process of putting a transmission cooler on, however I am running into the biggest dead end ever!!
Since I live in Iowa, super humid and hot in the summer & fall and gets down to -20⁰ with windchill in the winter. I want to run the cooler in line.
Where and how do I install the return on this?!?! I am only able to work on my car at night and I have 9 days until I have to drive 4hrs away! Please help put this into technical yet not super technical verbiage for me!
Thank you!

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
Why are you installing a transmission cooler?
What transmission temperatures have you seen?
Did the cooler come with instructions?

SammieJ88

Reaction score
Why are you installing a transmission cooler?
What transmission temperatures have you seen?
Did the cooler come with instructions?
I'm installing because I changed the trans fluid, filter and seal this last spring. When I drained the fluid it was almost black!
After dumping in New fluid I noticed, on a half hour drive, my trans temp went up to 201⁰!
I decided, after heavy research, to get a trans cooler. I have seen Temps from 201⁰-210⁰. 210⁰ being before I changed fluid, filter and seal. I have a brand new Hayden Ultra Cool stacked plate trans cooler.
It did come with instructions, however, they make sense yet they do not.
Thank you for your time.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm installing because I changed the trans fluid, filter and seal this last spring. When I drained the fluid it was almost black!
After dumping in New fluid I noticed, on a half hour drive, my trans temp went up to 201⁰!
I decided, after heavy research, to get a trans cooler. I have seen Temps from 201⁰-210⁰. 210⁰ being before I changed fluid, filter and seal. I have a brand new Hayden Ultra Cool stacked plate trans cooler.
It did come with instructions, however, they make sense yet they do not.
Thank you for your time.
What's your engine temperature when you see high transmission temperatures?
You already have a transmission cooler built into the radiator. If the radiator is too hot so will be the transmission.
Typically to install an external transmission cooler you cut the existing lines going into the transmission and run them to the external cooler.