Trans fluid worth changing?

zacharyschr2022

Reaction score
So I have an ‘07 base with 161k on her. Haven’t put many of those miles on myself. Just checked the trans fluid and it’s dark brown, but not super burnt smelling or nothing serious as far as metal shavings. Now what you also need to know is that this car has ran exceptionally well for me for the some 5k miles I’ve driven it. Obviously we all love the 3800 engine, but what’s interesting is that the shifts have been money. No slipping, or anything out of the ordinary besides an occasional slight shift inaccuracy when driving on Duluth hills. Now my question is whether or not I should change my trans fluid. I’ve read the theories that say old trans fluid keeps a worn transmission shifting nice, but yet most shops will want you to flush it. I’m thinking maybe I settle somewhere in between and drop the filter, which won’t flush all the fluid if I’m correct. Does anyone have a better idea or any input?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
Drop pan, replace filter, do Not flush.

avell007

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
I think I would leave it alone , you add new fluid the detregent in it will loosen up built up clutch material and move it around . Kiss the tranny good bye