upper and lower intake gasket change

bruceman07

Reaction score
i crossed the bridge on the gasket repair before it got too bad, i had the typical smoke out exhaust, only on start up till it got hot, oil between the runners and off and on coolant sensor issue. ive got a new upper intake on the way(the original seemed ok around the egr and no noticable cracks or melting but didnt want to chance it going this far in on the repair, it was another 200 for the intake but oh well. the kit came with the metal bypass tubes and im changing thermostat, water pump, rad cap and coolant sensor, all pretty cheap for peice of mind.

question, anything to watch out for as i put it back together? all the typical stuff like torque pattern, silicone on threads and corners of lower gasket, etc etc seem pretty straightforward, just would like someone whos been in here if they found something to watch for.
20220722_140927.jpg

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
Seems like you have everything under control, not sure what others could add.

92 Sunbird LE

Reaction score
Bolts Torque to yield? If so replace, I know that all 3.1 V6 intake bolts need to be replaced on an intake gasket job as per a GM bulletin...

Doug in P.R.😎

bruceman07

Reaction score
shes back up up and running smooth!

new water pump, tstat(with bleed hole) coolant temp sensor, IAC motor, upper intake, good gasket set, ultra copper sealer on everything, gonna run it hard this weekend and keep bleeding any air if necessary, did a good fill procedure, youtube thx!🙂😎