• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Van clunks despite replacing engine mounts

Isoldmysaturn:(

so, my 2006 montana sv6 awd 3.5 still clunks. I replaced the lower engine mount and transmission mount. I'm satisfied they were marginal at best, as the transmission mount had half the clearance of the new one, and the engine mount sloshed and the new one doesn't. but. every time I shift the transmission while parked or when I jab the gas pedal while driving, basically whenever the engine and transmission pitch, there is a loud clunk that transfers through the AWD into the rear end of the car. what part would I need to look at and how can I verify it's bad?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
If the noise is coming from the rear you have to start looking at bushings and u-joints in the rear of the vehicle for signs of wear.

G

G-862887

The noise is related to when the engine/trans pitch, for example, when applying the brake and moving the shifter. would that still be the cause?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
If the noise is from the rear, yes that is where you look.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
You have no way of lifting the rear of the vehicle and with an assistant attempt to duplicate the noise?

The clunking is coming from the end of the driveshaft that attaches to the pto. The driveshaft doesn’t appear to have excess play in any direction, but something is giving a hard clunking sound in that area when a load is applied either way by the engine

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
No, I do not, recommend you find a Chilton/Haynes manual, sometimes local libraries carry them.

Last edited:

Mine has two cv joints bolted to flanges. I’m not sure if you’re supposed to unbolt the ends, pull the ends, or other. I found a venture harness manual, but it mentions nothing about awd