• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Ventura 1976 350 5.7L - What is this ?

Ventura76

Quebec, Canada
Hi ! and please excuse my english... I am from the bad part of canada :)

I am restoring a 1976 Ventura with a 350 V8 engine 4bbl. I drive this car almost daily and everything seems ok (except some oily leaks) but after 38 years, I had some me too.

But yesterday I did a fast check of the engine and found this blue (i don't know what) and its cut hose that seem to be broken. (see Picture attached)

Does anybody knows what is it and what is it for?

Thanks a lot

Frederic

Attachments

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
i am having trouble figuring out what part of the engine the picture is showing? Is that the alternator on the left side of the picture and the radiator hose on the right?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
No Chevrolet or Pontiac engine has the distributor in the front of the engine. So what brand engine is in this car, Buick, Oldsmobile? Looks like a fitting on the front of the cylinder head.

Ventura76

Quebec, Canada
Hi. this car is supposed to be stock with original engine. But as you say, everything is not where It's supposed to be. I tried today to fin the engine casting number and that's how I found this blue thing.

Oil filter is on the left of the engine. Distributor on the right side.

As far as I know, the engine is a supposed to be a 350 5.7L 4 bbl. It's a Rochester carburator Valve cover are blue (color for a 350 of that year)

The car is a 1976 Pontiac Ventura Sedan.

Attachments

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
Looks like a Buick , Mel, see the bypass coolant hose and part of the vacumn advance on the right in the pic? ( Pontiac was dropped that year)

What is the VIN?

Part could be the thermal EGR vacumn delay valve to prevent pinging but I'm not 100% sure, how many ports ( hose attachments ) on it ?

Doug in P.R.:cool:

Ventura76

Quebec, Canada
VIN ; 2Y69H6W137133

Picture of the complete beast attached. Looks like a Buick to me too. I found the exact same configuration on a buick but a 6 not a 8 cylinders.

Thanks

Doug your picture looks just like my engine. Mine comes with a 4 bbl and a single exhaust and also a TH350 transmission. I will look at this EGR vacumm delay and try to understand why is not connected to anything.

Thanks guys for your help

Attachments

Last edited:

cammerjeff

Belleville MI
In 76 Ventura engines can get confusing, as stated your engine is probably Stock, and is a Buick 350, and that explains the oil leaks you mentioned. All Buick V-6 and SB V-8's Leak oil as a rule until you get to the Series II Buick 3800's from the 90's. In 76 you could get 3 different 5.7 liter of 350 engines in a Ventura, depending on where the car was sold it could have a Pontiac 350, Chevy 350, or like yours a Buick 350. And besides the thermostat and distributor cap, not much interchanges between the 3 engines.
You could also get an Olds 260 V-8, but I don't ever remember seeing an Olds 350 in a Ventura, does not mean they did not make them that way!!!!
I second the opinion that the broken hose may be from a vacuum advance delay, that would be easy to check with the dist up front. If your car is original and has a 4bbl carb this link will show the Vacuum hose rougting.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/repairinfo/repairguide/repairGuideContent.jsp?pageId=0900c152800b13f2
And this Diagram is for a 75 Buick 350 2bbl
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/repairinfo/repairguide/repairGuideContent.jsp?pageId=0900c15280080fb7
That's the closest I could find with a 2bbl.

Ventura76

Quebec, Canada
Thanks CammerJeff, very helpful. It's probably the vacuum hose. Mine is pretty simple because it's a 4bbl without A/C.

The broken hose is supposed to get to the valve so I have to find where exactly.

One more time thank you all

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
VIN Format: 1972-1980 GM

Decoding: 2Y69H6W137133

Digit Usage VIN Decoded
1 Mfgr 2 Pontiac
2 Model Y Ventura (std.)
3-4 Body 69 4 door sedan
5 Engine H V8 350-2v 140hp (Buick engine) ( oops, something is amiss)
6 Year 6 1976
7 Plant W Willow Run MI
8-13 Sequential Serial # 137133 137133

Doug in P.R. :cool:

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
What is the casting # on the intake manifold?

car is suspposed to be a 2bbl....................

It should be "1249169 "if its a 76 4bbl manifold.

Last edited:

Ventura76

Quebec, Canada
Sorry guys I didn't notice the second page of the Thread.

Well..... my carburator is a Rochester Quadrajet M4MC Series -4 Barrel Carburetor With Hot Air Choke maybe because the car was sold in the Ice cold

But now that I have the doubt, I going to take it off just to make sure.
140hp (beurk) that explains why the performances don't go with the nice sound:)

For the casting # I still have to degrease it to see it. I will post it.

Thank you

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
155 Hp with the 4BBL , if its legit , so you get an extra 15 ponies.

Someone on the assembly line maybe did you a favor and added the 4BBL motor instead of the 2BBL motor. ( maybe they were out of them ....:))

The intake manifold # will tell, and so will the build sheet when you find it.

Ventura76

Quebec, Canada
:) I suppose it's legit. I say so because I bought this car from an old woman the only owner.

Tomorrow I go down under this oily engine and find this casting number.

I will let you know what I found :)

Thanks

Ventura76

Quebec, Canada
Well.... I don't know if I am stupid ......(I can hear you) but I tried to clean thqt messy engine and the only number I found is the one on the picture. That number does't match any casting number on the net. I also found a big 5.7 near the admission.

the number is: just hope its not a part number :(
26602086-1