• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Ventura 1976 350 5.7L - What is this ?

cammerjeff

Belleville MI
A complete nightmare Doug!

Stupid as I am, I broke the plug tap inside the hole.... and I broke it with a bad angle, I don't know what to do now.

New filter and pan are on the road and expected to be home on wednesday.

I think the best thing to do is to wait and weld something on the plug but the car is less than 2 feet off the ground and weld in this position will be very hard

Fu.. .... ....
Sorry to hear that!!!!!! Unfortunatly getting a broken tap out is usually very problematic. If you can not get vise grips on the remains, see if you can use a small chisel and ketch some of the tap, sometimes you can tap it out with counter clock wise taps on the chisel.
I have never had any luck with tap removal tools as they usually just break also. Taps are made of Metal to hard to drill out at home. And I have never had any luck welding anything onto them while in place in a part. I have had to resort to using an EDM in the past. But that would require you to remove the engine and take it to a machine shop.

Picture might help us come up with other ideas. All I can do is wish you a lot of good will from south of the Boarder!!!!!!!

Ventura76

Quebec, Canada
Thanks for the Good will :) I am taking a day off the car, I am too piss..

If the weld doesn't work, I don't know what I will do. Hope I will be lucky that time

I will send you a nice picture of the disaster

Ventura76

Quebec, Canada
Here is the picture.... I spent almost 2 hours just to flattened the broken plug in the hole with a hammer and a screw extractor that seems to be made with a hard enough metal to help me.

The other picture is just here to show you that the car is not high in the air :) and make each movement difficult.

And now I have nice shinny and silky hair thanks to ATF :D

Attachments

Ventura76

Quebec, Canada
Hi guys!

Do you think I can start the car a couple of times without the pan and the filter just to be able to get it down and up in the next week ?

Thanks

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Starting the car

Hi guys!

Do you think I can start the car a couple of times without the pan and the filter just to be able to get it down and up in the next week ?

Thanks
Only if you want to become an expert on transmission overhauling since without fluid the transmission will burn out and the car wont move anyway!

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
Like in many countries around the world, the feast day of Jean Baptiste (John the Baptist) in Canada is on June 24.

Happy Holiday Frederic ! :D Take another day off from the Ventura!

Doug in P.R.:cool:

Ventura76

Quebec, Canada
Well I maybe found something that works. A grinding bit I use on my drill. As you can see on the second picture which is my broken plug; I have been able to start making a hole thru. I believe that's Aluminum Oxide. I just need to find one smaller to fit in the hole.

Attachments

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
Well I maybe found something that works. A grinding bit I use on my drill. As you can see on the second picture which is my broken plug; I have been able to start making a hole thru. I believe that's Aluminum Oxide. I just need to find one smaller to fit in the hole.
Dremel makes smaller ones............is that a "chinese made" tap or something else?

Dont let that crap get into you trans if you use it or one smaller, cover the trans bottom with plastic and tape!

Doug in P.R.:cool:

Ventura76

Quebec, Canada
Good advice Doug, I will also use a magnet to make sure to clean all the particles.

For the tap, I hope for the first time of my life that is a chinese piece of ..... I will try to find a bit for my Dremel and let you know.

Ventura76

Quebec, Canada
Finally!

Well after a week I finally got rid of that broken tap plug.

If it can help someone:

The non-working solutions

- Cobalt Drill bit
- Gold ferrous oxide drill bit
- Black oxyde drill bit
- Concrete drill bit

The one that works for me

- Dremel Tungsten Carbide Cutter on my Drill and something like 4 hours of drilling

Ventura76

Quebec, Canada
Thanks Doug for remembering me that :)

No more threads. Now I don't have a lot of solutions. I weld the hole all the way and re-thread or I use a bigger tap to make a new thread.

But any advice is welcome

Last edited: