• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Ventura 1976 350 5.7L - What is this ?

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
Nutsert or Helicoil is the best way to fix it right but requires a special tool install.

Tap out and use a bigger bolt is easiest.

Weld up the hole with aluminum mig wire, drill and retap requires great aluminum welding skills.

Permatex makes a thread repair goop but there are mixed reviews if it works or not.

Pick your poison.............................;)

Doug in P.R.:cool:

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
Is there any kind of high pressure in the pan?

Like It's a through hole may be that I can simply use a longer bolt an put a nut at the other end?
Not much pressure in the pan area but like 300 lbs interally. but trans fluid is so thin it leaks real easy.

I allways Permatex the gasket on both sides and install and let it sit 24 hours before adding fliud for a tight seal.

The best stuff I ever used was windshield urethane, never, ever leaked but was a bear to clean off your hands and anything else it gets on.

Hopefully you get a rubber gasket with you filter, cork doesnt last long.

Ventura76

Quebec, Canada
"Tap out and use a bigger bolt is easiest"

That's Funny Doug!

Don't you remember what did happen the last last time I tried to do that :)

This time I will drill before tapping out

Ventura76

Quebec, Canada
Second brroken bolt is now out. The hole is way more cleaner than the first one (no broken plug)

Now I need to take some time to choose what to do with the first hole. I am really scared by this one. It has got a conic shape and I believe I have to partly fill in it if I want to avoid a serious leak.

I will use some permatex plus the gasket but.....

Ventura76

Quebec, Canada
Finally I have decided to use a good tap.Today I Finished the two holes and clean everything. I bought 11 new bolts of the original size and two bigger and guess what.... the 11 don't fit. The originals have that strange thinner tip and I found out why today.

So NOW I have to find 11 bolts that fit.....

3 weeks to change a transmission filter.... I can't believe it

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
Turbo 350 pan bolt specs: 5/16" x 1" SAE Grade 5

Overall Length: .95"

Under Head Length: .75 "

Thread Pitch: 5/16"-18

Hope that helps Frederic..........................;)

Ventura76

Quebec, Canada
Thanks Doug, I will keep that for my archives, very helpfull.

The new pan is now in place. I re-used the original bolts after a good cleaning. I also used permatex.

Now I will wait tomorrow to put the ATF. I am scared to see a big leak tomorrow.

Cross your fingers.

After that, I will need your help to find out how this engine can run with so much hoses and connectors not plugged :)

Thank you Doug

Last edited:

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
Thanks Doug, I will keep that for my archives, very helpfull.

The new pan is now in place. I re-used the original bolts after a good cleaning. I also used permatex.

Now I will wait tomorrow to put the ATF. I am scared to see a big leak tomorrow.

Cross your fingers.

After that, I will need your help to find out how this engine can run with so much hoses and connectors not plugged :)

Thank you Doug
You'll be fine................;)

Does the car still have the Emmision sticker attached like this?

http://repairguide.autozone.com/znetrgs/repair_guide_content/en_us/images/0900c152/80/0b/10/45/large/0900c152800b1045.gif

Ventura76

Quebec, Canada
Yes the sticker is attached.... I feel stupid one more time :)

I put the ATF this morning and....................... the thing doesn't start.Come on.....

The battery is fully charged and everything seems at the right place. I don't know, may be I have to kick somewhere :)

Sounds like not enough power. The dashboard lights are OK and strong, the awful noise for the open door is OK too but when I turn the key, nothing (no noise, nothing) except that the light is getting low

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
do you have a voltmeter, should have 12.75 volts on fully charged battery. Check the battery cables for bad connection.

Ventura76

Quebec, Canada
13.12 Volts when I touch the connectors, I can have a little and single "Click", then the GEN light get low.

I will try to boost with my other car when mama will be back.

Hey; I am finaly not that stupid, on my sticker, there is no schema. But on the left, we can read BC 350 CU. IN. 40J2

May be:

BC for Buick :)

Last edited:

Ventura76

Quebec, Canada
Car did start after trying to remove and play with the battery cables (thanks melsg5)

No trace of major leak on the pan but I put a lot of ATF more than 6 liters and the deep stick still says low and I didn't engage any gear