• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Ventura 1976 - Unplugged hoses and plugs

Ventura76

Quebec, Canada
Hi!

There is a picture of the first 3 unplugged things on my Buick 350 engine.

Number 2 is supposed to be the TVS switch but I don't understand why mine has only one connection available.

The green wire with its plug? Sometimes green wire is used for tachometer but no gauge in this car

And this big hose with a screw at the tip?

Any idea?

thanks

Attachments

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
most of the hoses are for emissions purposes so unless you need to pass emissions or intend to have the car judged for originality you dont need them. You need a constant vacuum signal going to the distributor vacuum advance typically taken either from the intake manifold or a port on the carburetor on the bottom throttle plate. Just test with your finger with the engine running for vacuum at idle and when you open the throttle.

Ventura76

Quebec, Canada
Thanks!

I try to clean the engine this week. As you can see on the pictures, carburator is a Rochester Quadrajet so a four barrel.

Finally, the blue TVS switche has 2 vacumn ports, I just found out that the second one is completely broken.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ventura76

Quebec, Canada
melsg5 I see a lot of small blocks equipped with Edelbrock or other air filter with in fact almost no vaccum hoses plugged. You say that I don't need them except for the constant signal. What about these two parts of the filter box (blue one and the black round AC thing (pictures) what can happen if I remove them?

Thanks

Attachments

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico

Ventura76

Quebec, Canada
Thanks Doug.

Have a look at the picture, I think I have to forget about the stock look :)

ID of the carb says that it's a R4-M4MC

Attachments

Ventura76

Quebec, Canada
lol

No the rear bumper was completely rusted and was kind of dangerous. I will send a picture.

But it's very difficult to find a new one. I need not only the chrome part but everything else. Rust has damage everything it's unbelievable.

Thanks for the links

Castin number on the Carb is : 17080249 0640 CTX

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
I checked NHRA blueprint 1980 Buick specs but the intakes casting number still doesnt match............:confused:

If it is an 80, you just gained another 10 HP ( 165 for 80....155 for 76 )

At least the carb is an 80 for sure..............

Doug in P.R.:cool: