Kimmbalo

For whatever reason every place I go on the internet I cannot get a simple straight forward answer as the where the VSS Vehicle speed sensor is on my 2006 solstice.
is there a heat sheild I need to remove to find it? I have it up on ramps (I’m small 110 lbs ( a woman). I have tools and I can do this if I can just locate it. If I slide under the vehicle from the front and I’m laying looking up, from an obvious reference point where would I go to find it? Please help. I can’t get my car on the road until I replace this &smog it. It’s a 2006 with 36000 miles on it. My obd2 reader indicated the vss was compromised. So I just went to rock auto and ordered a brand new one. If it’s the wiring I can take care of that. The weather here in tahoe is getting nice and warm and I’d really love to get this car legal and drive it on weekends. I only paid $5000 for it. It’s so new it still has the paper tags on the under carriage. I got a great deal, I believe.

Attachments

• 48F23D57-4756-4137-BA91-EEBDEC8680E5.jpeg
    48F23D57-4756-4137-BA91-EEBDEC8680E5.jpeg
    706.5 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    411.1 KB · Views: 2

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
The VSS is attached to the transmission.
You did not state,whether you have an automatic or manual transmission? Google 5l40 transmission vss location or ar5 transmission vss location.

Last edited:

Kimmbalo

The VSS is attached to the transmission.
You did not state,whether you have an automatic or manual transmission? Google 5l40 transmission vss location or ar5 transmission vss location.
It’s a manual

cammerjeff

Belleville MI
It is mounted to the Tail Shaft Housing of the AR5 Transmission (5-speed Manual) You will have to remove the back bone brace to gain access to it. That involves 12 Bolts, and depending on how your exhaust system is routed the exhaust system may need to be dropped (not removed just disconnected from the hangers.) Here is a diagram showing the Speed sensor. The Sensor is #300 on the attachment below.

1620054583552.png

The Backbone brace is below, it is the RED panel. The one pictured is aftermarket but the removal is the same.
1620054752972.png

Kimmbalo

It is mounted to the Tail Shaft Housing of the AR5 Transmission (5-speed Manual) You will have to remove the back bone brace to gain access to it. That involves 12 Bolts, and depending on how your exhaust system is routed the exhaust system may need to be dropped (not removed just disconnected from the hangers.) Here is a diagram showing the Speed sensor. The Sensor is #300 on the attachment below.

View attachment 5761

The Backbone brace is below, it is the RED panel. The one pictured is aftermarket but the removal is the same.
View attachment 5762
Thank you so much. My exhaust runs along side this plate. I know I do need a swivel socket to get to a bolt. I started removing it yesterday, then decided to ask. My car is all stock.. wish I had a lift. Lol. Thanks again.

cammerjeff

Belleville MI
What part of the country are you in? There are some active Solstice/Sky clubs in several parts of the country, I know of very good clubs in MI, CO, & CA. The members can be alot of help with issues.

Nice looking Solstice b the way, is it green?