• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

What for a camshaft

fordmustang351

Hello,
I'd like to replace the camshafts on my 1976 engine.
Which one should I take?
I tend between these here:

Comp Camshaft

Crane Camshaft

What do you think? Or do I have other suggestions?
I need torque at the bottom. There is also an intake manifold from 1972 installed.

Sorry for the language, google is translator

Thank you

Tobi

Not sure what size engine you have but I used the Edelbrock Performer cam and lifters with an Edelbrock performer intake manifold on my 1972 Pontiac Lemans. Back when I still had to get smog checks, I would swap out the Edelbrock performer carb. with an Edlebrock quadrajet to pass the visual inspection. It had low and mid range torque and a slight lope at idle but I would pass the tailpipe emissions test, and they couldn't see the cam, so it also passed the visual inspection for California.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
the first one produces more power higher up in the rpm range, if you have a 455 I would go with that one. the second one is for lower rpm usage better for a 400. Why though are you concerned with torque and not horse power? Both the 455 and 400 at one point had the factory 068 cam which produces good power in both size engines.

Last edited:

fordmustang351

Hello,
thanks for the answers.
I drive a 400 engine. There are 6x heads installed, with a 1806 Edelbrock carburettor.
It is shifted with a Muncie M20 4 gear and has an axle ratio of 3.55
The engine has unfortunately only 180 Horsepower.
Of course it is allowed to have more power without having to overhaul the whole engine.
Tobi

cammerjeff

Belleville MI
Your basic set up is good, manual trans & 3.55 gears, your heads are just OK, but you can work with them as they will not flow much above 5000rpm. So if you build it more for low end torque I think you will be OK. You probably have only 7.7 to 1 compression ratio, so I would go with a cam like this one. If you have a stock 1972 Pontiac intake I would keep it, good part for a street engine.