what is your choice.

Shenango

I am getting new tires for the "64 this spring. I wonder what look the forum would like the best. New skins will be 215x70x15 All images via the magic of Photoshop.
pontfsbw.jpg
Black wall, as it sits now #1

pontfsww.jpg

White Wall. I am leaning this way. #2

pontfsfs.jpg

Firestone LE3. Nice look. #3

pontfsmt.jpg

Mickey Thompson. muscle car look. My wife is leaning this way. #4

Shenango

Great looking car, I like number 3 for a muscle look, but the white wall is a good vintage look.
Thank you. it is a 15 footer at best and there are some problems to deal with but it is fun to cruise in and turns a lot of heads. I am leaning to the classic look but the wheels make that hard to pull off.

Shenango

IMG_20210205_093620600.jpg
Done and done. The 215 wasn't available in this tire so I went with 225-70-R15. They fill the wheel well nicely and I don't think there will be any issues with fenders rubbing. When the snow and ice decides to go away, I'll take some pics outside. It's 14 ° this morning so I will just stay inside. Thanks to everyone who voiced an opinion.
Jerry

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Nice looking wheel/tire. Once the cold and snow are gone you may want to compare your speedometer readings to a gps app to see how accurate it is. If too far off you might be able to change the driven gear.

Shenango

Nice looking wheel/tire. Once the cold and snow are gone you may want to compare your speedometer readings to a gps app to see how accurate it is. If too far off you might be able to change the driven gear.
Good suggestion. The speedo was low by about 10 mph so the bigger tires will probably make that a little worse.

Shenango

Bad things happened to the left front after the car settled for 3 days. The dealer agreed to take the Firestones back and I am working on another brand. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Attachments

• IMG_20210208_132443695.jpg
    IMG_20210208_132443695.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210208_132617283.jpg
    IMG_20210208_132617283.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 0

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Car settled?
Why would it take days for the car to settle?
Did anybody check if you lost the alignment shims from the upper control arm?

Shenango

All shims are in place and settling is very common. With the car on jack stands at all 4 corners the suspension is at full lower travel. When it is put back on it's feet the suspension doesn't return to normal until the car rolls. In my case the car didn't roll but by sitting on a sheet of 12 mil plastic and flattened cardboard boxes it would return to rolling position over time. Also the garage ambient temp is about 30° this time of year and heated to around 50 when I am working in it. The daily temp changes will also allow the suspension to relax and contract a little. I can't say for sure all of this took place but it might explain why the clearance was good on Thursday and not on Sunday and the car was not out of the garage.
Jerry

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
That makes more sense. I thought a tire dealer had installed the wheels/tires and you drove the car for 3 days.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Looking online at what is commonly used on your generation A body in the front the 225/70x15 is not mentioned. Have you considered 60 series?
That would be 1.8" smaller in diameter.

Shenango

The dealer spent a lot of time looking for a 60 series tire for me and all he came up with was Cooper and Goodrich. I've had bad luck with both tires turning brown so I didn't want either one. I will probably go with Mickey Thompson in 235-60 and that diameter is 26.1 and the cross section is only a tenth wider than the tire I had. The dealer just called and my rims are ready to pick up. I asked him if he was able to get MT's for me and he said I would have to go Through Summit or Jegs. I've bought tires from him before and will again when my Jeep is due, a real great dealer. Time to head in to town.