What to do with a1977 400 block

PontiacJoe

Reaction score
So, I have an old, rusty, in-need of rebuild engine block with heads. From the numbers, it seems to be a '77 400. Nothing special about it. Can't tell what car it is out of but my cousin who gave it to me said it was a Firebird. (If you know how to confirm that please tell me how!).
Anyway, I was saving it as a trade in / core for a new engine. But I've decided on an aluminum black next time. Now this thing is just in my way. (My wife adores it 🙄)

What world you do with it? Should I recycle the metal for $0.10 per lbs., sell it, junk it, or get it redone and sell it in better shape?
I really just want to make room in the shop. Love to make some $$ but I don't really know if it's worth it. I also hate wasting original parts even when they are not the most sought-after.
Please provide your Pontiac wisdom. Thanks!

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
Sell it locally
Look at the engine code below the front of the left cylinder head.

PontiacJoe

Reaction score
Thanks. The code told me it was the 400 from November of '76 making it a '77 car. There are other codes, but I don't think any can tell me the actual car it was in.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
It doesn't really matter which Pontiac it came from. A buyer wants to know which 400 engine from 77, see chart below. There were 11 different 400's in 77.

Reaction score
So, I have an old, rusty, in-need of rebuild engine block with heads. From the numbers, it seems to be a '77 400. Nothing special about it. Can't tell what car it is out of but my cousin who gave it to me said it was a Firebird. (If you know how to confirm that please tell me how!).
Anyway, I was saving it as a trade in / core for a new engine. But I've decided on an aluminum black next time. Now this thing is just in my way. (My wife adores it 🙄)

What world you do with it? Should I recycle the metal for $0.10 per lbs., sell it, junk it, or get it redone and sell it in better shape?
I really just want to make room in the shop. Love to make some $$ but I don't really know if it's worth it. I also hate wasting original parts even when they are not the most sought-after.
Please provide your Pontiac wisdom. Thanks!
Blast it, paint it, get creative & turn it into a coffee table with a glass top.
$1200 right there.