Wheel bearing press

Cavell

Dooh. Seems the front one was kinda Whiney, not really growling, more of a tire whine. I jacked up car and let motor idle in gear and I could feel it thru the coil spring. Now, I jacked up rear and spun wheel and 1 wheel is definitely making noise too. Ugh.

Cavell

Why. Does bearing hub rust/seize to knuckle if both are steel? This bearing is <3 years old.

Attachments

• 873696F3-2441-4F91-A1B4-1A4E020656D7.jpeg
    873696F3-2441-4F91-A1B4-1A4E020656D7.jpeg
    242.3 KB · Views: 0

Cavell

Yes. Minnesota. I think knuckle is alum also. So, galvanic corrosion
alum seems so week vs steel. it does not have a steel spindle like a 2wd car. So maybe alum is fine for a bolt in bearing assy.

Cavell

Just did the rear bearing too. 1 hr. The bearing easily tapped out with light hammer whacks. It was more noisy then front bearing. For sure.
i hear about axle nut torque being critical for bearing life. But my rig is fwd and the rear bearing is splined but there is no axle nut to torque. So is it important or not?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Are you saying you dont have a torque wrench?

Cavell

I did not say that. The front wheels turn. More weight on front end. More side loading? Vs rear? But a fwd and awd suv has the same rear bearing. There is a rear axle and nut to torque on an awd but there is no axle to torque on a fwd suv. So, why is torque important? When the bearing can’t be torqued? It must not be important.

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
Axles only have large nuts to torque, sealed bearings no.

Large Weight loaded in the back of your suv puts more strain on sealed bearings , awd has more load capacity due to axle support of the bearing.

Yours is only the second vehicle Ive ever heard of needing a rear wheel bearing on a fwd. The other was a Lancer.

Doug in P.R.:cool:

Cavell

I’m not sure what you mean? Rear wheel bearing on fwd? You think I mean the rear bearing assy is used on the front as well?

Cavell

Actually, I have seen rear wheel bearings with no thru hole for axle. And versions with a splined hole. So, I don’t need to worry about using the splined version as I don’t have a rear axle And cannot torque the missing axle nut?

I did not say that. The front wheels turn. More weight on front end. More side loading? Vs rear? But a fwd and awd suv has the same rear bearing. There is a rear axle and nut to torque on an awd but there is no axle to torque on a fwd suv. So, why is torque important? When the bearing can’t be torqued? It must not be important.
Its the offset of the bearings.
The rears are actually set deeper in.
When you reinstall them, use axle grease and lightly coat the bearing/hub to keep them from seizing.

Cavell

Rock auto only says bearings are for cars with or without 4 wheel abs. Nothing is said about fwd or AWD. Having owned 1/2 dozen equinox’s and vue with fwd and AWD I can say I have seen solid rear bearings with no splined holes.