Where are all the mid-80's Sunbirds?

pippo

Florida
I've been looking around the internet for a few months, but there really aren't many mid-80's Sunbirds available out there. Lots of Firebirds, Fieros and such, but not Sunbirds, especially GT's. Am I looking in the wrong places?
Bill,

Just my edjukatid guess, sunbirds are not really considered a 'hot" car, nor even a cool car. Even though, when compared to the much hotter car the Firebird, they got the name wrong- the temperature of the sun in sunbird is way hotter than the temperature of fire in firebird.

Anyway, thats why. When the GT turbos quit they junked them. Also, when the AT's quit on the non turbo GT's they also junked them. Mine is a MT, and they last forever.

Mine is a 1987 non turbo, GT. Only 7% of all GT's were non turbos. Yes, not as cool, but mine is still around. Low maintenence, goes along with low performance. But who cares about performance - at least mine is still running, at 210,000 miles, orig clutch, not a drop of oil consumption, and working ac. And with cops everywhere, who needs to "perform"?? LOL

Last edited:

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
Only one on adhuntr ( all of Craigslist in the us) 10k convertible.

I bet the turbo one on cars.com is the cheapest.

Most are new washing machines by now.

Only seen one on the road down here, most are 88 and up.

Keep looking, one will turn up.

Doug in P.R.:)

Bill,

Just my edjukatid guess, sunbirds are not really considered a 'hot" car, nor even a cool car. Even though, when compared to the much hotter car the Firebird, they got the name wrong- the temperature of the sun in sunbird is way hotter than the temperature of fire in firebird.

Anyway, thats why. When the GT turbos quit they junked them. Also, when the AT's quit on the non turbo GT's they also junked them. Mine is a MT, and they last forever.

Mine is a 1987 non turbo, GT. Only 7% of all GT's were non turbos. Yes, not as cool, but mine is still around. Low maintenence, goes along with low performance. But who cares about performance - at least mine is still running, at 210,000 miles, orig clutch, not a drop of oil consumption, and working ac. And with cops everywhere, who needs to "perform"?? LOL
Can you post a photo of yours? Reminds me of the one I owned years ago.

pippo

Florida
Can you post a photo of yours? Reminds me of the one I owned years ago.
Geez, Bill, now you got me wanting to wash and hand wax my car to show it off!! Bad Bill!! Sure, I can do that for you!! But with all the rain down here I am backed up with a bit of chores, so it may take a week or so. If thats OK!!

Getting NEW tires put on next week, and splash guards behind the tires, as I removed the tacky fender trim pieces from factory- I now its not original without those plastic pieces, but geez, they were doing a number on the paint where the plastic ridge rubes against the car's finish. I kept them though, in the attic. First new tires in about 14 years. Dont worry- I dont drive past 55 mph, and for only 20 minutes. I know about blow outs.

But without those plastic half moon pieces the tires would kick up road debris and destroy the red paint right behind the wheels. So, Im installing splash guards.

Anyway, I will post pic asap.......And thanks for asking me to do so!

cammerjeff

Belleville MI
Have you seen this 85 Convertible in TN for $1500? Looks good in red and its a manual

https://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/d/convertible-sunbird-1985-model/6758190940.html

Or this convertible in WI but is a bit more $$$ at $4300 I know they are not GT's or Turbo's

https://appleton.craigslist.org/cto/d/convertible/6757797482.html

Or this 87 Turbo GT Convertible for only $900 but it needs more work

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/d/1987-pontiac-sunbird-gt-turbo/6773447479.html

Here are a few more, there are some out there just not many. Seems like only the Convertible's and a couple of 4-doors survived by my search, no GT coupe's at all, strange.

https://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/d/car-for-sale/6757405651.html

https://treasure.craigslist.org/cto/d/1984-pint-sunbird-convertible/6762594864.html

Last edited:
... as I removed the tacky fender trim pieces from factory- I now its not original without those plastic pieces, but geez, they were doing a number on the paint where the plastic ridge rubes against the car's finish. I kept them though, in the attic...
If you ever plan to part with the wheel opening flares and they are in good shape, please let me know.

Bill

OK, Bill. We are a small group, so it wont be hard to remember........

Waiting for the heavy rain to stop, so I can take that picture for you.......

Bill, just thought- I dont know what kind of car you have.
I am between Sunbirds right now, but actively looking for a '86 or '87 Convertible. One of the ones in an above posting is actually sounding promising. My old '87 Sunbird GT Hatchback broke my heart when I saw that the new owner had totaled it just weeks after buying it from me. I've been wanting another ever since.

pippo

Florida
Good to know, Bill. Just be careful- inspect those lower edges of the doors, as they are prone to rust, which is expensive to repair. Mine has developed a few water leaks, which I have had to chase, sometimes, for years before I plugged /repaired the source of the leak.

Still chasing a few now......