• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Where can I get a new keyfob? Or am I gonna have to kill the alarm system somehow?

treehugger0123

So Mom purchased for me a used Pontiac G6 GT Sedan 4D (at least that's what the sale sign said, and google seems to confirm it's in the ballpark), and both of the keyfobs are malfunctioning; neither of their "unlock" buttons work (the "lock" buttons do though). I was cool with having to use the key to unlock the door until I quickly learned that unlocking it that way caused the car alarm to go nuts and not shut up until the car was started. The previous owner claims this never happened to her and that I might have hit some sort of switch, but I get the feeling that she's not being totally honest and that this is one of two reasons it was such a cheap price even for a used car(Asking price was $2,800, and she took my mom's offer of $2,500; the other reason was that it has 170k miles on it). My short-term search for a dealership that could replace or repair them ended in failure, and I gave up hope on that search when I found the wikipedia page for Pontiac and it said it was completely defunct and has been since 2010. Are there any other dealerships that could deal with the keyfobs? Because the alarm is gonna get very annoying very fast.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
When you say "car alarm" you mean the horn starts beeping?
Key fobs can be bought online but they have to be programmed. Any GM dealer can do that.
You are sure none of the 4 doorlocks unlock?
You looked in the owner's manual on how to use a key to unlock?

treehugger0123

When you say "car alarm" you mean the horn starts beeping?
Key fobs can be bought online but they have to be programmed. Any GM dealer can do that.
You are sure none of the 4 doorlocks unlock?
You looked in the owner's manual on how to use a key to unlock?
Yep, and it's continuous until I start the car.
That's fantastic to know! Thanks a ton!
Positive. Completely unresponsive.
I wouldn't think I'd need a manual to know how to stick a key in a keyhole and turn it. Is there an extra step I apparently don't know about?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
I dont have access to a manual at the moment but it may require you to turn the key to the lock position and then the unlock. If you have the manual check it.
My other concern is that all 4 door lock actuators are bad and the fobs are good. Your mother never observed the prior owner unlocking with a fob?

treehugger0123

I'll take a look at that tomorrow. I'll probably replace at least one of the keyfobs anyway, but should I have to resort to the spare key that'll be good to know.

I asked her, and she said it was unlocked from the start and the previous owner's husband just opened it up (and when I went to take a look at it myself, the owner did the same); while we were warned that the keyfobs were malfunctioning, we weren't told the specifics and locking issues never came up. I'm also pretty confident it's the keyfobs because both of them have clear damage--one is missing a quarter of it's back casing (and the inside is visibly dirty), and the other was chewed on by a dog (you can see the teeth marks, and they're more than just scratches).

Also, upon opening the driver's door, I was able to use the main lock/unlock button on that door to unlock two of the three other doors--the driver's side passenger door didn't open, so you might be right with that one. (And that bad door was another issue we were warned about prior to purchase.)

Last edited:

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Ok, they sound like they have been through a war. You might as well buy 2 right away because if the dealer has to program you don't want to pay twice.

treehugger0123

Oh, they don't charge per keyfob they're programming? I assumed that's how it worked.

Well, I did find a place where I could buy them, and I get what you're saying there; but the way our finances are now, and the fact that the second key is mainly just a spare in case Mom has to come save me after I lock myself out of my car, it might be best for the time being if I just bought one, especially if there is a way for me to use that spare key manually without the alarm going nuts.

Regardless, thanks a ton for all your help! I feel better knowing I won't have to put up with that alarm forever each time I want to drive it.

treehugger0123

"This item requires special handling and cannot be shipped to your selected location."

It's OK though, the place I did order mine from said it'd come with info on where to get the programming instructions for my specific vehicle, and there are several GM dealerships nearby that might be able to do it if I can't.

ETA: Also, what you said about the key having to be turned to the lock position first was correct, so that's good to know if the keyfob doesn't work out.