• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Why does my G6 Steering wheel shake when coasting? Happens on and off

Cstinger

During acceleration and braking there is no shake in the steering wheel, but as soon as I hit 45 mph and let off the gas pedal the shaking starts mostly in the steering wheel. Any ideas of the cause of this issue?

Carwerk

1 Have you checked that the steering linkage recall has been done. 2. Have front steering underneath parts looked at for wear at tire / alignment shop garage and have the 2 front tires along with their wheel balance (spin) checked on balance machine. 3. Before removing those 2 front wheels check that lug nuts are not loose. 4. Shop should be able to find problem possibly without( alignment $$ ) .

Cstinger

Thank you so much🙏🏼 It’s a project car and this is the only issue I have with the car rn. I did have a caliper lock up so could a warped rotor be related to the issue?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Warped rotor causes steering wheel shake only when you step on the brake

Cstinger

Ok so rotor isn’t the issue. I’ve find out when I gas it, pedal to the metal, that’s when the shaking starts. Could tie rod bushings be the issue?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
You can guess over the internet all day long. A qualified person who knows how to check for worn suspension and steering components and out of balance wheels has to check the car.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
This is one of possible multiple videos showing how it is done. You will have to judge whether you have the tools and skill level to do it yourself.