Wire wheel hub caps

PontiacFan2323

Hi,
Here is a new question from Germany.
My wire wheel hubcaps do this annoying rattling. I checked everything and found out that theres no way to get the wire cap bracket firmly tight to the steel wheel. Even when I tighten the lugnuts correctly there's still room for the bracket to move around a bit. Any ideas how to get rid of the rattling?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
It's a common complaint of any car that has that style of hubcap not just Pontiac. Some suggestions were using a foam tape as a cushion between the wheel and cover.

PontiacFan2323

It's a common complaint of any car that has that style of hubcap not just Pontiac. Some suggestions were using a foam tape as a cushion between the wheel and cover.
Hey melsg5,
Thanks for the feedback. Seems like you're the only one replying to my questions. But thanks. I'll try the tape method cause the rattling is really annoying. The car sounds like Santa's christmas sleigh :)

PontiacFan2323

I thought that I post the solution for the annoying hubcap rattling here. The other day I read something in a cadillac forum about the rattling. And what that guy did is the cure. I took of the hubcaps and cleaned the steel rim with wd 40 and took all the dusty rust of the wheel. And then I put a little spray grease on the parts of the wheel where the little teeth of the hubcaps are sitting. And now it is absolutely quit. Really nice.