wiring radio 2005 Sunfire

fezanthunter

I searched tons of threads, never found my question so here goes: bought 2005 Sunfire from young kid who pulled his expensive stereo out & left me with a hole in the dash & cut radio wires. Got an aftermarket radio/CD player & found a partial wiring diagram online but can't figure out 4 wires: orange, purple, light gray(?) & black.
According to online wiring diagrams: heavy black = ground; tan = LF spkr (+); gray = LF spkr (-); dark green = RF spkr (-); light green = RF spkr (+); brown = LR spkr (+); yellow = LR spkr (-); dark blue = RR spkr (+); light blue = RR spkr (-). Are those right?
Orange looks thicker than others - is that 12v battery? What's the purple, other light gray(?) & black? I really can't buy a harness since I don't have a connector left, just bare wires. Don't have an ohm meter either. Thanks for the help.

fezanthunter

factory wiring for base radio/CD player

OK, got my after market radio/CD player installed in my 2005 Sunfire. Here's the deal: the chimes for keys left in the ignition, lights left on, etc. run thru the factory radio. From what I can tell, that was the PURPLE wire which I did NOT use on the "new" radio. Since the factory radio was NOT controlled by the ignition switch, I ran a new primary red wire from the fuse panel (bought a nifty pre-wired tap-in from NAPA) & tapped into the "Cigarette lighter" fuse. You get a double fuse holder so both the cigarette lighter & "new" radio are each on their own fuse. Can't do the "Radio" fuse because it does NOT go off with the ignition "Off". Here's the wiring for the rest of the factory wires: ORANGE = battery (constant on) 12v; GRAY = radio illumination (LF spkr (-) is also gray so find out which is which with test light); TAN = LF spkr (+); LIGHT GREEN = RF spkr (+); DARK GREEN = RF spkr (-); BROWN = LR spkr (+); YELLOW = LR spkr (-); DARK BLUE = RR spkr (+); LIGHT BLUE = RR spkr (-); BLACK = Ground wire. Noticed on Install DrX wiring that Lt.Green is (-) & Drk.Green is (+) but that wasn't right..at least on my car. I wired according to diagram from www.modifiedlife.com & everything works like it should. Hope this helps somebody else.

fezanthunter

Thanks for the tip about the radio auto shut-off. I finally downloaded the manual for my Sunfire online as none came with the car when I bought it used. Discovered then about the auto radio shut-off but still decided to run a primary wire to the fuse panel since I guess I'm "old school" & like that the radio shuts off when the key is turned off. I don't have any warning chimes now but that doesn't break my heart :) I'm guessing the left over purple wire is the one that controls the chimes & auto shut-off? Anyway, everything works great & I'm happy with tunes in the car now!

fezanthunter

NAPA sells a "piggyback" pre-wired connector to the fuse block panel that plugs right into the fuse block. It is a double fuse holder so you pull out the fuse you're replacing & plug it into the double fuse holder which then plugs into the empty fuse space & replaces the original fuse in the fuse block. I chose the RFA BATT since I don't have remote keyless entry & left out the 15 amp fuse for the remote. It also worked on the 10 amp Cruise control which I rarely use so that might be an option?

fezanthunter

I re-read my original post & I noticed a big mistake & misinformation I gave. Do NOT wire the radio to the RFA BATT (Remote Keyless Entry System) as that is "hot/live" all the time & your radio will be "on" whether the key/ignition is on or not. So use the 10 amp Cruise Control or other "keyed" power source that only comes on when the ignition is on as Zimgxp said "any switched (keyed on) power will work". Sorry about the mistake & misinformation. Wiring to the RFA BATT will screw up the security on your car & you won't be able to open your trunk! Believe me, I know from experience. I apologize for giving bonehead misinformation :(

bmullens

Hello, I installed after market stereo. I am wondering if the radio shut off option you mentioned would allow door chimes and such to work. in any case I would like to know which wire is the "shut off wire" ..I would also like to know if there is a fix to making chimes work with aftermarket stereo. thanks...

fezanthunter

OK, got my after market radio/CD player installed in my 2005 Sunfire. Here's the deal: the chimes for keys left in the ignition, lights left on, etc. run thru the factory radio. From what I can tell, that was the PURPLE wire which I did NOT use on the "new" radio. Since the factory radio was NOT controlled by the ignition switch, I ran a new primary red wire from the fuse panel (bought a nifty pre-wired tap-in from NAPA) & tapped into the "Cigarette lighter" fuse. You get a double fuse holder so both the cigarette lighter & "new" radio are each on their own fuse. Can't do the "Radio" fuse because it does NOT go off with the ignition "Off". Here's the wiring for the rest of the factory wires: ORANGE = battery (constant on) 12v; GRAY = radio illumination (LF spkr (-) is also gray so find out which is which with test light); TAN = LF spkr (+); LIGHT GREEN = RF spkr (+); DARK GREEN = RF spkr (-); BROWN = LR spkr (+); YELLOW = LR spkr (-); DARK BLUE = RR spkr (+); LIGHT BLUE = RR spkr (-); BLACK = Ground wire. Noticed on Install DrX wiring that Lt.Green is (-) & Drk.Green is (+) but that wasn't right..at least on my car. I wired according to diagram from www.modifiedlife.com & everything works like it should. Hope this helps somebody else.

bmullens

ok thanks again. thought maybe there would be a # schematic for the plug /connector.actually found 1. combined with color diagram should be ok to use .

Hannahs05Sunfire

You’ve just solved the problems I’ve been having installing the car stereo in my daughters 05 Sunfire. Much appreciated!