• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

WTB - Drivers door 5.25" Bose speaker for 1999 Grand Prix GT (part number 189905-005)

PontiacKendall

Hi everyone. A quick introduction, I'm the proud new owner of what was a 1-owner 64k mile 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix. This is the proverbial 'little old lady' car that carfax shows has been drive 3-4k miles a year since 1999. It's in exceptional condition and I've only had to do a few minor tweaks (fixed 3 door dings, MAF, low coolant sensor, etc). The body, paint, and mechanics are in outstanding condition and I couldn't be happier.

That all said, I do need to replace the Bose 5.25" speaker in the drivers door. It's not generating any output and I've successfully hooked the other speaker in the door confirming that the radio/amp/wiring are work properly. I also did the 9V battery trick and the bad speaker doesn't pop as expected. The problem that I'm having is finding the replacement speaker. I checked my local pull-a-part yard which has 6 Grand Prix's ('97 through '03) but none have the Bose systems installed. I've also found a couple of complete speaker sets on Ebay but I'd rather keep my cost in the lower double digit range instead of + $100. If anyone has this speaker and wants to sell it I would love to get it. Or if anyone knows of a low-cost replacement speaker I may be interested in that as well. It needs to be a 2ohm speaker and not the 4ohm standard speaker that GM used in their non-Bose systems.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Sal Collaziano

Staff member
Hi everyone. A quick introduction, I'm the proud new owner of what was a 1-owner 64k mile 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix. This is the proverbial 'little old lady' car that carfax shows has been drive 3-4k miles a year since 1999. It's in exceptional condition and I've only had to do a few minor tweaks (fixed 3 door dings, MAF, low coolant sensor, etc). The body, paint, and mechanics are in outstanding condition and I couldn't be happier.

That all said, I do need to replace the Bose 5.25" speaker in the drivers door. It's not generating any output and I've successfully hooked the other speaker in the door confirming that the radio/amp/wiring are work properly. I also did the 9V battery trick and the bad speaker doesn't pop as expected. The problem that I'm having is finding the replacement speaker. I checked my local pull-a-part yard which has 6 Grand Prix's ('97 through '03) but none have the Bose systems installed. I've also found a couple of complete speaker sets on Ebay but I'd rather keep my cost in the lower double digit range instead of + $100. If anyone has this speaker and wants to sell it I would love to get it. Or if anyone knows of a low-cost replacement speaker I may be interested in that as well. It needs to be a 2ohm speaker and not the 4ohm standard speaker that GM used in their non-Bose systems.

Thanks in advance.
Welcome aboard! And thank you for signing up. Congratulations on your Pontiac Grand Prix!

PontiacKendall

Actually I think I still have 2 left over from a car I parted out years ago, if I do you can have them for the cost of postage.
Wow, that would be amazing thank you. I'll send you a separate private message.

Update - I can't see how to send private messages here. Please follow-up with me if you're able to find the speakers as I would love to get them.

PontiacKendall

Click on the name "cammerjeff' and then select "start a conversation"
Thanks for the recommendation but I'm not seeing the option to start a conversation with him. The only options I get are to [Follow] or [Ignore]. I've attached a screenshot below.

PontiacForum.jpg

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
News isn't good, eventually the option will show up for you.

Sorry for the trouble but this is a security measure that must be in place. A necessary evil. It takes time for new members to gain the ability to contact our members out of sight. Without this security measure in place, our members would be receiving, without anybody knowing, links that click to malicious websites. The hackers made this necessary. Unfortunately, all new members need to wait an undisclosed amount of time before they're allowed to access our direct messaging system...

PontiacKendall

News isn't good, eventually the option will show up for you.

Sorry for the trouble but this is a security measure that must be in place. A necessary evil. It takes time for new members to gain the ability to contact our members out of sight. Without this security measure in place, our members would be receiving, without anybody knowing, links that click to malicious websites. The hackers made this necessary. Unfortunately, all new members need to wait an undisclosed amount of time before they're allowed to access our direct messaging system...
Thank you for the explanation, that is completely understandable and reasonable. Hopefully cammerjeff will see the replies here and I'll be able to work out something later when the option opens up.

PontiacKendall

Sorry I looked and I could only find the larger 10 inch versions from the package trays, I must have sold the door speakers with the doors. Sorry to get your hopes up.
No problem at all, I appreciate you checking on it. I found a source on Ebay today that has the speakers so I'll be able to get them from there. Thanks again.