• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

77 TA Won't Crank

BamBamm

I wanted to add that I just found out I can shift the car without keys in the ignition or foot on the break. It's an automatic.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
If only two wires you connect them together.
Was this a new NSS?
Where the screws are located on each end of the NSS, aren't there slots to move it side by side for adjustment?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
There also is something else going on if you can move the shifter.
All these things are interconnected, the NSS, the steering column locking, and the shifter. It sounds like the NSS is not connected to the shifter linkage and the column lock mechanism.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Another comment, this is an older car the brake does not have to be stepped on to move the shifter.

BamBamm

If only two wires you connect them together.
Was this a new NSS?
Where the screws are located on each end of the NSS, aren't there slots to move it side by side for adjustment?
Yes it's a new NSS. No, there's no adjustment that I can find.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Did the NSS you installed have 7 electrical prongs on it?
Does the section of the steering column below the key rotate as you move the shifter?
Does the plastic tang on the NSS move as you move the shifter?
Any chance you can post a picture of the NSS?

BamBamm

Yes new NSS has 7 prongs.
I don't know, I will find out in a minute.
Not sure what plastic tang your referring too.
Yes, installed or uninstalled?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Correct, does that piece move when you shift out of park?
If not the NSS is not correctly installed or there is an issue with the column

BamBamm

This is what I found:
Adjustment. If the engine starts with the shift selector in any position except Park or Neutral, adjust the switch as follows: Loosen the two neutral start switch retaining bolts and move the shift selector to the Neutral range. Align the groove and the neutral basic line.

What does that mean?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
The shifter has to be in neutral. The tang should be inserted into the column with the tang aligned to a mark on the NSS. Once in that position tigthen the two screws.
If you can move the shifter with the key removed from the lock there is a problem in the column that will prevent you from being able to correctly install the NSS

BamBamm

Do I need to remove the steering column?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
So far im not sure the NSS was correctly installed.
You never answered the question about whether the shifter moves with the key removed from the ignition.

BamBamm

So far im not sure the NSS was correctly installed.
You never answered the question about whether the shifter moves with the key removed from the ignition.
It wasn't installed correctly, I didn't know it had to be in neutral. It is -1 outside right now, but I will get to it.

Yes, you can shift without the key in the ignition.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
This is the diagram of the shifter interlock. It goes from the transmission to the steering column on the firewall side. Check to see if it is disconnected. Without this function in place the NSS will not move to permit the vehicle to start.

Attachments

BamBamm

So far I can't find the part that links the rod to the column. I will keep looking though. I have to jack the car up to see if the rod is there.