• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

why is my pontiac montana's check abs and check traction system lights always on?...

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Did you just buy this vehicle that you weren't aware that the wheel sensor had been recently replaced? A new wheel sensor can fail.

bighank

Same symptoms on a Buick Regal - was an open wire near R F wheel connector

I just spent some time resolving the same type of problem on a 2002 Buick Regal LS (ABS light and TRAC OFF lights ON on the dash).
Autozone scanners read the ABS codes and pointed to the R F wheel sensor.
On a Buick Forum the main advice was replace the wheel hub. Supriseingly the Buick and the Montana USE THE SAME HUB. Checked resistances and found an open wire about 3 inches from the R F connector. Soldered that and no more lights. Incidently the Service Engine Soon or MIL was lit by this ABS code.
From previous posts on here I did not have any broken wires or out of range resistances on any of the 4 wheel sensors. Still mystified by the Idiot Lights with NO CODES on the Montana. Still think it might be the ABS module.

rainbow

I have 2008 Pontiac montana. Left front wheal sensor two wires broken right at the wheal causing traction control and abs lights coming on. Nothing wrong with bearing or hub assembly . Its not affecting any thing. These lights are part of the hub assembly sensor. To fix that I have to replace the hub assembly as I can not connect the broken wires to the sensor.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
First of all this is a 4 year old thread.
Hopefully you realize that both your ABS system and traction control system are disabled.

Carl604

Just a quick one to tag along.

Same signs and symptoms. So! Wheel bearing doesnt seem like that bad of a deal. I tried listening to see what side is N/S but since I came back from Afghanistan, my hearing is not that great.

Is there some way to determine which bearing is N/S? When the scanner is hooked up will it tell me if its a LH/RH bearing? I just dont want to buy the wrong one.

With that. Ive looked into a few parts suppliers. About $120 CDN here for the bearing. Not bad imho, but they ask if mine is the plastic clip or the metal clip?

How can I determine this?

2001 Montana LWB, Fully loaded w/air suspension. 264000kms. Goin strong, even if there are no rocker panels left!
if your raise the front wheels off the ground on blocks or stands of course then put the car into drive but make sure the wheels are off the ground before doing this. Now reach your hand between the rotating tire an the fender wall but be careful not to touch the rotating now grab the struct spring if you feel a vibration that is the bad bearing but don t stop check other side to might have to replace both same miles and turns on both hope this helps