How to get water pump out

pippo

Florida
The video clearly shows a mark on the crankshaft sprocket at 6:00 when the camshaft sprocket is at 12:00.
Excellent!! Thanks for the follow up/confirmation. So, in no uncertain terms, you believe/agree that the 6:00 position is a must for the crank? If so, I will gently turn it back a bit (from my 7:00 current position) to line up.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
This link below refers to the timing mark on the crank pulley at 10 degrees BTDC, the video shows a mark at 6:00, so I dont know if that is the same. It's hard to believe that if it should be 6:00 and yours is at 7:00 that the engine ran unless you accidentally moved it after removing the belt. I assume you are installing a new belt? You dont have a Hanes or Chilton manual to refer to?
https://www.autozone.com/repairguides/GM-Cavalier-Sunbird-Skyhawk-Firenza-1982-1994/ENGINE-MECHANICAL/Timing-Belt/_/P-0900c1528003b9d1

pippo

Florida
This link below refers to the timing mark on the crank pulley at 10 degrees BTDC, the video shows a mark at 6:00, so I dont know if that is the same. It's hard to believe that if it should be 6:00 and yours is at 7:00 that the engine ran unless you accidentally moved it after removing the belt. I assume you are installing a new belt? You dont have a Hanes or Chilton manual to refer to?
https://www.autozone.com/repairguides/GM-Cavalier-Sunbird-Skyhawk-Firenza-1982-1994/ENGINE-MECHANICAL/Timing-Belt/_/P-0900c1528003b9d1
I know about the 10 deg BTDC, but that is based on PULLEY notch, not crank sprocket notch. They are 2 different things. The 10 deg BTDC is clear. Also, Haynes is useless regarding the crank sprocket mark. Thanks for that link, it helps. I have seen it before. I will proceed to place crank sprocket notch at 6:00. Then let you know how it works! Thanks!!

pippo

Florida
Mel,

Ended up[ I had to find TDC, as you suggested. Best thing to have done! The 6:00 position was actually correct. All patched up and car started! I still have not driven it to see drivability as Im now doing brakes while its all on jack stands.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.