1964 Catalina Restoration

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
are you intending to reuse the 2bbl carburetor and intake?

My Pontiac expert in Tx says that Plasti Kote 208 is the correct paint for the '64 engine. Amazon has that. Very little rust in this '64. A bit on bottom of radiator support beneath battery and a spot in back pass floor where there evidently was a leak in the back windshield. The truck floor is the worse part. May have to replace that.
Another engine paint option is KBS MOTOR COATER #60320 available from Jeggs High Performance. I used it for touchup on much older paint and the match was acceptable.

redvettemike

Madison, Ms
My mechanical guy Marvin (age 70, 1 year older than me!) got down in his foot. Had to sit down 2 weeks (Marvin worked 20 years for the Illinois Central RR; it's a good thing they have good benefits because they wear folks out). Engine is back together and we need to get it back in the car. Maybe this week if Marvin is better.

Attachments

redvettemike

Madison, Ms
Yes; the water pump was bought after the fact and is just loosely on the engine. We will paint it here shortly. We are about to paint the car. In the next 2-3 weeks or so. Keeping it inside most of it's life has made the rust issue not an issue. It has numerous parking lot dings but needs no major metal work except for some spots in the trunk floor. It needs a front windshield and I see those are available. We are going to put a Vintage Air system on the car. The original radiator is no good and we must get a good radiator. Not sure exactly where to find that. Tks.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Concerning the radiator, the tanks are shot also so a recore wont work?
If you are willing to go custom there is a well known company in the Corvette restoration field https://www.dewitts.com/ that might be able to make one.

Yes; the water pump was bought after the fact and is just loosely on the engine. We will paint it here shortly. We are about to paint the car. In the next 2-3 weeks or so. Keeping it inside most of it's life has made the rust issue not an issue. It has numerous parking lot dings but needs no major metal work except for some spots in the trunk floor. It needs a front windshield and I see those are available. We are going to put a Vintage Air system on the car. The original radiator is no good and we must get a good radiator. Not sure exactly where to find that. Tks.
OPGI has them.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.