• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

1964 Catalina Restoration

redvettemike

Madison, Ms
Folks: Excuse if this is multiple posted. As regards the tires for this '64 Pontiac Catalina. Would 235R70x14 be about correct? What size whitewall would have come on the original car? 1"?
Tks for any advice.
Mike

redvettemike

Madison, Ms
The only manufacturer (that I could find) of a whitewall radial tire 223.75x14 was American Classic. Those tires are available through multiple vendors, Coker, Summit, Lucus, and more. They are costly (at least to me) at $277 each. Diamondback had a 215/75R/14 for $234. All of these had a 1" whitewall that was 1" off the rim. I think that is pretty correct for the period. Anyone know of any other brands? Tks. Mike

Attachments

redvettemike

Madison, Ms
Re Exhaust System
Do you fine folks know of a source for a correct (well pretty correct) dual exhaust system for this '64 Cat? Thanks for any guidance. I guess an original exhaust system would have been 2"?

redvettemike

Madison, Ms
This '64 has it's original remote control, fender mounted rear view mirror. Can some of you folks advise how the cable that controls this mirror is mounted (from it's location under the dash on the left side of the steering wheel to it's location on top of the fender?) tkanks for any guidance.
Mike

Attachments

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
You are correct, I assumed they went back to 64. I see they have the factory shop manual and I believe a Fisher Body manual but not sure if they would provide you with the information you need.

redvettemike

Madison, Ms
does it have to be original, OPG has the below in 3" and 5" wide
https://www.opgi.com/catalina/CHT9453/
I saw those. Summit has a similar kit but has the panel that goes across the radiator and you cut a hole and fit the shroud/fan fixture into the hole. It is $55+/-. Maybe we will try that if I cannot find a used shroud (looks doubtful). Non air cars evidently did not come with a shroud. Also came with a 4 blade non clutch fan that we will need to replace (w a seven blade fan clutch) as we are putting a/c on this car.

redvettemike

Madison, Ms
We received tires from Coker. 215/75/14's seem to fit pretty good. Price was $160+/- each. Finding 14" tires is a task. The hubcaps cleaned up well and the Cat is looking pretty good. Engine and trans (Slim Jim) have been rebuilt. Exhaust system in this week. Vintage A/C in pretty soon. The steering wheel is all cracked up and we likely will fill the cracks and paint the wheel. Also a '66 Shelby GT350H and '65 Corvette that we restored.

Attachments

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Your using a 442 fender cover on a Pontiac! Disgraceful! Wish your shop was closer to me I could use some work on a GTO.