2006 Torrent has problems starting occasionally

I have been having this issue on and off for 6 mos. Until Memorial Day weekend, I never had an instance in which the car didn't start after I backed off and tried again - granted sometimes it took a couple tries, but it always started.

Memorial Day weekend - i think we got it to start by shear luck.

I took it to a shop without checking here - they recommended a new battery based off their tests. Since it is a 2006 and I have 56k miles, I figured okay but didn't think that was the true fix.

10 days later, it did it again. I took it back to the shop. They ran more tests and this time they said it was bad starter and I replaced the starter. Well, it did it again last night and this time I gave it gas on the third try turning it over and it started. Went home and started googling and found this thread.

I've called a few GM dealers and other shops. I've been told everything from a bad ignition system to a bad fuel pump to bad sensors. Everyone wants to runs diagnostic tests to determine the issue, but I don't have any error codes on the dash or anything like that.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had the same issue and found the cause to be something other than a dirty throttle body or EGV valve since the three GM dealerships I have called dismissed those as a potential cause.

Thanks.

misbhvnz,
I would like to apologize for the issues that you have experienced with your vehicle. I would strongly suggest that you take your vehicle into a Certified Pontiac Service Center. They will be in the best position to diagnose your vehicle properly. If you need assistance locating a certified dealership you can follow the link below and enter your zip code. Please keep me posted on the outcome of your visit to the dealer. Also, if you have any other questions, comments or concerns please feel free to contact me.
http://www.pontiac.com/toolbar/dealer_locator.html
Thank you,
Stacy GM Customer Service

Larrydiesel

06 Torrent intermittent hard start hot

I am having this same issue with my wife's torrent. It occasionally has an extended crank hot. I am a trained mechanic as well as A.S.E. certified. I have tried all the fixes out there for this. Our dealer offers many suggestions but I have already tried them all. The car has done this pretty much from new. It seems like it may be getting worse but hard to say. It seems to me like a simple software glitch whereas a certain condition is happening and the ECM can't recover the idle quick enough. If you release the key it will continue cranking until it catches. Depressing the throttle a bit will always work but seriously why should you have to? It's an 06 not a 66. This issue seems to be posted on many forums for many different models. I would love to hear of a REAL fix for this.

pikey

I have an 2008 torrent with the same issue. The dealer replaced the fuel pump under warranty. I cleaned the TBI and ran a few bottles of injector cleaner thru (directed to by the dealer) it still does the same thing. It started in June and is progressively getting worse. The dealer now wants to charge me $100 an hour to figure out what is wrong with it! It has 65,000 miles and is still covered under power train warranty until December. I can't see them charging me to figure it out as I figure a non starting engine IS a powertrain issue. I told them that if they think there is not an issue give me the service managers home phone number so when my pregnant wife gets stuck with our 2 young kids at 10:00 pm she can call him to come get her. Of course they would not oblige. Just pay the couple hundred for them to figure it out is what the adviser told me. I wish GM would just fix the problem before my warranty runs out.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Have you contacted GM? Send a PM to the user on this forum with the name GM Customer Service

kellyu98

Starting Problems 2006

I am having the same issues as it seems all of you. I bought this piece in february 2012 and every so often, it doesn't want to start right away.
I am getting real fed up, I brought my pontiac torrent 2006 to the dealer several times and they can't seem to figure out the problem. All the mechanic told me is if the engine light doesn't come on he can't really find the problem, and he can promise me that it will always start. Lucky me!!!! Anyways I really wish this problem could be solved. I am definately going to take my truck in and have the mechanic check some of the ideas that where posted, my dealer warranty is up in one month so they need to figure this out quick.

I am having the same issues as it seems all of you. I bought this piece in february 2012 and every so often, it doesn't want to start right away.
I am getting real fed up, I brought my pontiac torrent 2006 to the dealer several times and they can't seem to figure out the problem. All the mechanic told me is if the engine light doesn't come on he can't really find the problem, and he can promise me that it will always start. Lucky me!!!! Anyways I really wish this problem could be solved. I am definately going to take my truck in and have the mechanic check some of the ideas that where posted, my dealer warranty is up in one month so they need to figure this out quick.

kellyu98,
I would like to apologize for the issues that you are experiencing with your Torrent. I do understand your concerns as well as frustrations with this. I would like to look into this further for you. Can you please send me a PM with your name, address, phone number, VIN, current mileage and the name of your dealer? I look forward to your response.
Thank you,

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
There is a technical service bulletin that any shop with subscription rights or a dealer can look up concerning hard starting on 2005-2006 Torrents. The bulletin number is 3795 and the NHTSA number is 10020090.

Shelbell

kellyu98,
I would like to apologize for the issues that you are experiencing with your Torrent. I do understand your concerns as well as frustrations with this. I would like to look into this further for you. Can you please send me a PM with your name, address, phone number, VIN, current mileage and the name of your dealer? I look forward to your response.
Thank you,
We bought our 06 torrent new and have had the same starting problems from the get go! 3 Dealerships and 100's of Dollars in Warrenty copays and no answer yet! one would thing GM could have found the issue by now!

We bought our 06 torrent new and have had the same starting problems from the get go! 3 Dealerships and 100's of Dollars in Warrenty copays and no answer yet! one would thing GM could have found the issue by now!
Shelbell,
I'd like to apologize for the issues you have experienced with your Torrent. I do understand your concerns and frustrations with this. If you'd like me to look into this further for you, please send me a PM with your name and the last 8 of your VIN. I look forward to your response.

Thank you,
Sara (Assisting Stacy)
GM Customer Service

clutch23w

TPS out of range.

I own a 2006 Torrent and have been running tests on it for this condition for the past 5 months. It seems that when the vehicle is turned off, the TPS sets itself to a higher than required value. I have verified this by looking up the specification (between 2 ~ 5 %) and verifying the TPS position with an Actron OBDII scanner, model CP9575. When I start the car, I depress the fuel pedal to WOT and quickly release, THEN I turn the key. This has consistently allowed the vehicle to start without hesitation, as the TPS resets to the correct starting range.
As for a permanent fix, I am looking at disassembling the TPS and verifying the values of the electrical contact surfaces and mechanical mating surfaces are correct. While this will be out of the scope of most peoples technical ability, it will verify if the system is out of range and needs an adjustment.

As a side question, does anyone else have a knocking noise just after successful start? I have looked into the issue being an EGR issue, just haven't heard of anyone else having the same symptom.

Maxco

Thanks for the tip clutch. I do sometimes get a strange quick knock after start or sometimes just randomly while driving....sort of sounds like badonk adonk....and usually sounds like it comes from the rear of the vehicle.

Crisjm

Same here

I have had the same issues. When I turn the key to the on position, sometimes I can hear the fuel pump whine sometimes I don't. The car seems to start after I turn the key several time just to the on position and off then to the start position.

As for the knocking noise I have that issue as well. This usually happens after the car is first started and I could be still parked. Sounds like you are driving over the reflectors while changing lanes. Any thoughts on this? Thank for the help I will be trying the other methods of correction this weekend as it took 15 min this morning for me to get it started.

Thank you

Clam7135

Thanks for the tip clutch. I do sometimes get a strange quick knock after start or sometimes just randomly while driving....sort of sounds like badonk adonk....and usually sounds like it comes from the rear of the vehicle.
I have an 06 Torrent and get the exact same sound. It's been there for several years but I have no idea what causes it.

schwasskin

Figured it out?

Anyone figure this out yet?
My wife has an 06 torrent and when the engine is warm and off for about 30 minutes it struggles to start.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Did you look at the technical service bulletin mentioned earlier in this thread and discuss it with a local dealer or independant shop that subscribes to the bulletins?

venator260

I just wanted to pop in here and say that I had this problem. My dad and I fixed it simply by removing and cleaning out the throttle body.

It doesn't sound like it will work for everyone, but it was a sub $10.00 fix (just needed a can of throttle body cleaner and a toothbrush), so it's worth a shot, and it may work for some.

AutoEngineer

Engine Starting & Unstable Engine RPM Issue

As I see comments in this string that cleaning the throttle body has appeared to help, I'm going to suggest the following issue as something that could be the cause.

Incidentally, note that it may not be the throttle body cleaning that is affecting things, but the fact that the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) is worked through its full range several times during the process. Read on and good luck!!!

5/2/2014

Problem:
GM 3.4L V6 (2007 Pontiac Torrent) Unstable engine RPM, causing multiple error codes. May also be misidentified as engine “missing”.

Cause:
The throttle position sensor (TPS) design is subject to issues that will prevent it from relaying the actual position of the throttle (butterfly valve). The nature of the issues is such that the problem may be intermittent. A new throttle body assembly may not experience these issues until it has been used for multiple years, but others --or a remanufactured throttle body assembly-- may have this same issue soon after it has been put into service.

Background:
When the issue is occurring, engine RPM is unstable/erratic, possibly more so at particular points in the throttle range. This may happen regardless of conditions or operation. When the issue is present, the tachometer will show the RPM wavering approximately ± <500 RPM, for example. Note that the engine will not appear to be missing/misfiring, but simply unstable in speed only. Some fault codes may result regarding traction control. Also, some other fault codes may be set regarding a throttle that is not responding properly to the electronic pedal demand.

In some cases, when only keying ON but not starting the engine, the throttle can be heard to make erratic noises as it struggles to attain its proper location. This can occur at 0% throttle and also at other points in the throttle range. Further, this can be monitored on a diagnostic tool, which shows the throttle position wavering (although the engine isn’t even running) and the pedal position to be unchanged. As the pedal is worked from 0-100% and back several times, the erratic noises from the throttle body may decrease or cease entirely in some cases and the throttle then operates normally and silently as is expected. To confirm, the diagnostic tool may then show the throttle position to respond immediately and without wavering.

The best way to confirm the issue may be to wait until a resulting service light appears and then --using a diagnostic tool-- turn and the ignition on but do not start the engine. Confirm that the throttle position is changing while the pedal is unapplied or being held stationary at some other location. If no diagnostic tool is available, intermittent “buzzing” of the throttle body may be heard if the problem exists.

Diagnosis:
The fact that the above issue appears to be affected by 0-100% use of the throttle suggests that the TPS sensor was the intermittent cause.

A teardown and analysis of the TPS sensor assembly (which is integrated into the throttle body cover) revealed that its “wiper” pivots on a guide bore on one side and against a wave spring washer on the other side –where it also mates with clocking “flats” on the throttle shaft. It was noted on the subject throttle body that no parts of this assembly were lubricated and the wave spring washer had ground into the facing metal plate. The TPS wiper connection to the throttle shaft is spring-loaded to account for mis-alignment, and allows for tolerance and assembly. Note that this spring loaded connection works well –provided that it is not overcome by force, in which case the throttle shaft can turn independently of the TPS wiper to a significant extent.

As indicated by the ground metal surface and complete absence of lubrication, the drag on the TPS wiper may become sufficient enough to overcome its spring loaded connection to the throttle shaft. This will prevent the wiper from moving with small, but significant movements of the throttle causing unstable engine RPM, etc.

Repair:
Unless an alternative throttle body assembly is available, the TPS sensor wiper must be accessed in order to lubricate the wave spring washer and cover bore area that receives the other side of the wiper. A silicone based grease may be used. Note that the throttle body cover may be removed (held by 6 reusable clips) and serviced without having to remove the throttle body assembly from the vehicle.

Remove any burrs or roughness from the metal plate where it contacts the wave spring washer.

Clean the carbon tracks with electrical contact cleaner.

A custom method of reattaching the metal plate covering the TPS must be devised. There are multiple ways to do this. The most convenient method may depend on what tools and/or materials are avialable.