2006 Torrent has problems starting occasionally

jake01

2006 Starting Problems

I did have the throttle body replaced on my 2006 Torrent and that did not fix the starting issues. My mechanic kept my Torrent drove it for a few days with it hooked up with a computer hook up to see if there was any codes that came up when it would not start. They are putting a new crank sensor on it today. I will reply later to see if that fixes the problem. I hope it does, $300 for body throttle and $200 for the crank sensor. I will never own another Gm Product

Last edited:

ShellK555

starting problems

I have this starting problem also. Mine I have found that if I have a problem getting my car to start if I push down on the gas pedal it clears the carburetor or something. It happens usually when it has been off for like 15 min to 45 min and then you try to start it.

Thop

Start up issue and gas smell.

I am having all the same issues with my 2006 torrent. I brought my torrent with 43,000 miles on it. I thought this vehicle was very reliable based on the car fax, but I should of known after buying the car on the 3rd day the ignition switch would not turn over. Took the vehicle back to the dealership and they put a new one on. Next 6 months warming car up I would hear the car make a sound like a burp, engine light came on took to dealership could not find out why it was on. The dealership said it was due to the gas cap not being an origins and I would need to contact gm for a gas cap that goes to the check with the sensor. Now for the time being I have had a couple of times starting the car. Now for the past year I have to press the gas for it to start frequently after the first start in the morning. Now I am smelling gas from doing this an no one knows where it is coming from an of course my extra warranty has ran out an I have 105,000 miles on it. Just want to know based off of this forum it sounds like this is a gm torrent issue and if they found the solution to this issue.

jake01

Goodbye Torrent

We got rid of our 2006 Pontiac Torrent last June. Replaced the throttle body, EGR valve, crank sensor. Did not fix problem. We got a Nissan Pathfinder. Very happy with our decision. Will never own another GM product.

tkman

Time to move on.

Trying to decide if I should repair or get rid of Torrent.
I believe I will be getting rid of it.
I also feel that when a product turns out to have known deficiencies and the company does not want to acknowledge or offer a remedy it is time to look to another company.

I find it almost funny that I keep getting contacts from my GM dealer suggesting I buy a new one.

Why would I do that when the last one failed to perform reasonably and the manufacturer does not want to stand behind the product.

Too bad. I like supporting North American made products but they have to perform.

robertg927

I was having the same problem and replaced the Throttle Body, but that didn't fix it. I replaced the purge valve solenoids (I don't remember their exact names) but there is one on the top of the engine and one underneath the car on the purge valve canister. This has helped tremendously.