Moving to P.R.

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
Took the 'Bird to Guayama yesterday to Walmart to get some few items for the dogs. ( ticks are real bad here) Every Walmart I go to, the tick stuff was sold out so I figured that if Walmart was out, the Kmart near by would have it so it wasnt a wasted trip. I took the back way ( Route 3 ) since to road out of town to the Toll road was delayed due to repaving . Spotted a black V6 Sunbird coupe as I was Leaving Guayama.
Nothing new to report since the "Bird was running great and I havent been driving it much since the truck arrived. Was going to start adding the good parts I have for it Sunday but we started doing tile in the bathroom instead. The wife even took today to pick up her aunt and cousin since the aunt had trouble getting in the the truck to go to town . I used it to even get 11 blocks (6 large , 5 1/4 ones) and put them all in the trunk, while I was running errands the other day .Still great on gas and running good, best $600 car I ever bought!:D

Doug in P.R.:cool:

Last edited:

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
Took time Sunday to add some of the parts I brought to fix the 'Bird, heres what got fixed or replaced or added:

All 3 mirrors, drivers outside door handle, glove box latch, T-handle for the dipstick, headlight and wiper switches, right taillight, battery holddown and the Pontiac nose emblem.

Cut the wires to the door locks also to add switches to the jamb since the dome light runs off them and they blow the fuses anyway. There is a boss to drill and tap so I will add the switches from the 76 Toronado I picked up in AZ.

Nice to now have a passenger mirror now( never did) and a good drivers one since the car came it it disattached and with the glass gone . ( I cobbed up a temp one in Jan.) Rear view had moisture creeping in from behind.

Headlight and wiper swiches still worked but the housings were cracked and had missing plastic and were held together with duct tape. had to remove the bulbs from the old ones on the headlight switch since the replacement one had burned out bulbs.

Every thing else was either missing or broken so its all good now.The Sunbird adventures continue in Puerto Rico................Doug in P.R.:cool:

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
Nothing new to report other than on Black Friday weekend I spotted 4 Sunbirds in my travels . ( Blue, Red,Gray and Black ones ). Whats the chance of that? :confused::D:eek:;):eek:

Doug in P.R. :cool:

msmith1956

Bremen, GA
I guess where you are it's pretty unusual, but around here it would be nothing to think about. You can't help but to see a handful of those every day around here. Have a great weekend my friend!

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
Thanks MSmith,

Worked on the "Bird this past Sunday, added the hood release cable , all the lugnut covers, and the sprayer and hose for the windshield washer. Took the cowl off also to fix the cracks with epoxy and screen underneath. Found alot of previous work had been done to fix leaks into the car. ( even the heater core hoses were disconected)Going to add more goop to try to fix the remaining leaks.

All is left to fix is the poor airflow into the car, dome light swiches, side mouldings and of course the tranny replacement. Then there is the paint issues...............:eek: at a latter date.

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
Been using the "Bird more often now since I had to get a job on a farm over here as money is slowly dimmishing working on the house. Went in for training twice this week, the second time this week I found a bunch of more "Birds in the parking lot. A sad sight the same day, as I walked back to the lot instead of waiting for the shuttle , a exact duplicate of my car was on a flatbed waiting in line at the metal scrap yard. :(

Took out the washer bottle today ( what a pain!) to fix a leak on the bottle where the upper spring clamp had worn a hole in it. Used the heated screwdriver trick to melt the plastic, putting it back in was easier since I eliminated some of the air intake muffler that blocks the way. Just cut it shorter just under the filter and stuffed it with foam so now it just gets direct air from behind the left headlight. Drilled a new hole at the top bottle mount as the original one was broken . Thats all for now..................

Doug in P.R:cool:

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
Putting the "Bird to rest for a week till I renew the registration and get an emission test, been running great for the last couple of weeks to and from work.

Got the parking lot attendent at work to give me a permenent spot on a slight downhill so I dont have to do the" Fred Flintstone " to park everyday at the farm's shuttle lot.:)

Happy 2013 to all the Sunbird owners from Puerto Rico!;);););)

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
BACK IN BUSINESS! :) The"Bird" is back on the road but it took two weeks, (money tight) . Now a bath is in order as birds in the neighborhood used it as a toilet.:mad: Probally work on it next Sunday if all goes well.....;)

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
It took some rubbing compound to get the bird doo and tree sap off the 'Bird last Sunday since the clearcoat is gone off the hood, roof and trunklid.

The' Bird came out nice after the bath, but later that day I got sick:( and now just starting to get over it a week later, :rolleyes: so no more new work on it to report.:(

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
Yes, and Penicillin is the cure for it which is avalible here in drugstores without a perscription. Took only 2 500mg pills 8 hours apart and started to get better right away..........................just this nagging cough is all that is left. The over the counter crap wasnt cutting it:p .....................10 days total of being sick.:mad: ( and I take vitamins everyday and it didnt help.. but at least I wasnt bedridden:) )

All the contact with 60 people crammed in school buses on a daily basis doesnt help either............:(

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
Not much to update, temp job on the farm is over and looking for new a job.

Put the mouldings on the Bird last week
except for the passenger door cause I ran out of the 3M tape.
They are black with a red accent instead of the red with black cause thats all I could find before I left AZ.

Probally will replace the trans in a week or so when my tax return comes in, probally finish the moulding, dome light switchs, and air ventilation flow issue in the mean time.

Thats all for now..............Doug in P.R.:cool:

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
Got a part time job on a banana farm a week after I got laid off from the other job, so no time to work on the "Bird" like I planned on the last post.

Aired up the tires ( all down 11 lbs ) on the weekend, but been busy working on the house and finally got the tile done in 1 bedroom, after Home Depot ran out of the tile we were using.

Car has been running great and now its a only a 3 minute drive to work now.:)

I'll see if I will time to mess with it this weekend since I get out at noon every day and work on the house after lunch.

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
Its probally slight rim leaks or colder air we have had here....................:D ( brand new rubber)

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
Got the dome light working , cut the orange and white wires and ran a new power source off the fuse box and tapped in the negative to the door jamb switch from the 76 Toronado. Only had time to do the drivers door, passenger side will have to wait. Drilled a new hole in the boss in the jamb that was there from the factory, put the fuse back in for the dome and no more blown fuse. Now the trunk light works also. Also the door locks automaticly now when put in gear...............:)

Had to rebuild the 3rd brake light lens, melted by the sun. Took out what was left of the old lens ( all one piece of the housing), siliconed in a piece of a plastic bottle, sprayed it orange on the back side and it was good to go. Will see how long it lasts till I get a piece of plexiglass to do it right.

All for now...............Doug in P.R. :cool:

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
Added the last piece of door moulding last week, added the passenger door dome light switch today, got the 'Bird up on ramps to see whats involved in the trans replacement coming up. Was debating how the to resolve the no interior airflow problem. ( been trying to figure it out for a while now)

Under the car , I noticed two drain holes at the bottom of the heater box looked plugged so I stuck in a screwdriver , and a ton of stuff was in there, so remembering the JBody forum info on the heater core plug up issue I read a while back , I decided to get on it.

Had to take out the blower motor, move the PS resivoir and tie it out of the way and take out the wiper motor. The lower heater box bolts are a pain to get to so I cheated a little by removing the upper 4 only and prying the box away enough to check the heater core. It was full of a black type fuzz! I used a small tooth size wire brush to get it off the the core first, then vacumn , then blow it out, then finally a hose down . Put it all back together, resealed the heaterbox, and now finally have air flow inside the car!:)

Probally do the trans R & R in a couple of weeks, then I can retrofit the A/C with new oil and orings to use 134A.

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
Not much new to report, finally got the horn to work on the steering wheel instead of the push button on the side of the dash that was hooked up. Did that last year in a pinch cause I didnt have much time to fix it right , was just the wire to the horn connecter was dirty, and the wire to the steering wheel center was broken.

The car has been running great and going on 3 weeks now on a little over of a quarter tank of gas.:)