Moving to P.R.

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
Keys , Keys , Keys Cant find a spare blank 45 door/trunk key around here anywhere so I bought a set online. Wife had some spares made at the hardware store over here last year but they used the wrong blank for the trunk/door one.

It works in the drivers door only, after you spend 8 minutes wiggling it .:mad:

Its a pain also to get a car key made since you need a registration, license and the car owner in person to have them make them.

Looks good for the tranny replacement this weekend....wish me luck! Its getting too hot so I better get on it.

All for now........Doug in P.R. :cool:

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
Well the trans is in :D and now I have reverse! Working great but it has a different gear ratio (1994) and the lock up works now but it lugs the motor due to the taller tires, probally will hook up a switch just to lock it up on the highway.

It came apart easier than putting it back in, every bolt seems to fight you to go back in. Also there is 40 items or more to disconnect / install just to do the job. :(

During the second day of install, tree branches fell on the house so I had to deal with that and then the timing belt went also on the test drive so I had to fix that , which was a pain to do also. I was worried I would have a leak at the water pump cause you have to turn it to release the tension on the belt and tighten it to add tension to install it but it only lost a quart or so in the catch pan and I just poured it back in.

Still need a trans mount and the "dogbone" mount and a sway bar bushing.

Job pics are in my profile................:)

Slowly its getting all together........................Doug in P.R.:cool:

Last edited:

Evilcowboy420

Wow sounds like you got quite a job doing all you have done.

I noticed back in November you said you got the pontiac nose emblem... Where did you get it? Mine is fading and I wanted to get a new one.

Also don't sweat a water pump install I did one on mine and I was worried not having a tool to retension it by moving the pump but I ended up using a pry bar and pushing against the tensioner bracket (the huge cast aluminum one) and just pushing back towards the car it works real well although you have to be ready with the wrench to tighten down at least one bolt after that it won't move and you can let go of your pry bar. Just make sure your marks for timing is right on and might as well do the belt while your doing it.

And I know what you mean by every bolt fighting you on the way back in...lol It seems they go in easier with a small squirt of WD-40.

Anyways good luck on the job and show some pics when you get it done.

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
The emblem was from a donor junkyard car, a bunch on ebay but not sure they are exact size. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trk...unbird+pontiac+nose+emblem&_sacat=0&_from=R40 http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trk...w=pontiac+arrowhead+emblem&_sacat=0&_from=R40

I just used a big set of Channel locks after fighting with it for a while. It helps to have the PS / Fanbelt tensioner/ altenator bracket out of the way.....:D Manual says to modify a "crowsfoot" wrench to turn it , but with the channellocks it worked just as well.

Pics are here....
http://www.pontiacforum.com/pontiac/album.php?albumid=130

Doug in P.R.:cool:

Last edited:

TrojanMan

Oregonia
I noticed back in November you said you got the pontiac nose emblem... Where did you get it? Mine is fading and I wanted to get a new one.

I don't know if my '92 nose emblem is the same as yours but I've got it stuck in a hole in a wall. It's yours if you want it. I took out my Leaf Sucker cowl and I get much more air. I'm gonna put a trans cooler in that hole.

Evilcowboy420

I don't know if my '92 nose emblem is the same as yours but I've got it stuck in a hole in a wall. It's yours if you want it. I took out my Leaf Sucker cowl and I get much more air. I'm gonna put a trans cooler in that hole.

Sure if you got it laying around I'll take it. Will PM you

Last edited:

Evilcowboy420

The emblem was from a donor junkyard car, a bunch on ebay but not sure they are exact size. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trk...unbird+pontiac+nose+emblem&_sacat=0&_from=R40 http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trk...w=pontiac+arrowhead+emblem&_sacat=0&_from=R40

I just used a big set of Channel locks after fighting with it for a while. It helps to have the PS / Fanbelt tensioner/ altenator bracket out of the way.....:D Manual says to modify a "crowsfoot" wrench to turn it , but with the channellocks it worked just as well.

Pics are here....
http://www.pontiacforum.com/pontiac/album.php?albumid=130

Wow that sunbird looks good. Makes mine look a little rough since I got some body work to do on mine lol. Overall nice looking car.

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
Thanks,Just clear coat missing on mainly the top surfaces of the car ( bumpers, hood, trunk, roof ).

A few dings and dents here and there, I'm going to try Duplicolor's " Perfect Match " on a few spots to see if it really matches, If not, probally 2 tone it silver or grey on the top half with their " Paint Shop" quart system.

Doug in P.R. :cool:

Evilcowboy420

Thanks,Just clear coat missing on mainly the top surfaces of the car ( bumpers, hood, trunk, roof ).

A few dings and dents here and there, I'm going to try Duplicolor's " Perfect Match " on a few spots to see if it really matches, If not, probally 2 tone it silver or grey on the top half with their " Paint Shop" quart system.

Yeah I will be doing mine in two tone as well. Black and Blue I like the idea of my hood and trunk being black and the rest of the car being blue and the trim on the side black (gotta find the trim someone removed it from the doors lol).

Yes Duplicolor will definitely be an exact match for your car. The color was known as "bright red" or thats what it looks like from the pics. You can cross reference it with your service sticker code and this site http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?manuf=GM&year=1992&page=6&rows=50 to know exactly the right color. This paint really does match the original I have used it on an S10 and it was a perfect match to the point it was not noticeable.

Just my input but I would scuff the area with 220 grit sandpaper and paint the area with a couple coats. Oh and be sure to wash it really really really good after sanding cause otherwise the paint will bubble and have a hair dryer handy in the event you apply it too thick and it starts to run the hair dryer will make it a bit better drying it quick too. Then work each layer up a grit lightly until reaching 3000 grit. Just my experience from refinishing guitars.

It is hard work but if your patient can look just as good as any factory paint job if not better because if you get it to 3000 grit it's gonna really shine and you should see your reflection in it.

Oh and one last bit of advice would be to bondo fill the dents if you can't bang them out.

Sorry for running over ya with advice but I get excited to see what other peoples work looks like when it comes to finishing something. I tend to be fascinated by the craftsmanship people put into something. Kind of like when I see someone finish a guitar or a gun stock and grips. It really is an art form.

Last edited:

TrojanMan

Oregonia
I'm gonna yank my side trim eventully. Was thinking somebody might want it.
Yeah I will be doing mine in two tone as well. Black and Blue I like the idea of my hood and trunk being black and the rest of the car being blue and the trim on the side black (gotta find the trim someone removed it from the doors lol).

Yes Duplicolor will definitely be an exact match for your car. The color was known as "bright red" or thats what it looks like from the pics. You can cross reference it with your service sticker code and this site http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?manuf=GM&year=1992&page=6&rows=50 to know exactly the right color. This paint really does match the original I have used it on an S10 and it was a perfect match to the point it was not noticeable.

Just my input but I would scuff the area with 220 grit sandpaper and paint the area with a couple coats. Oh and be sure to wash it really really really good after sanding cause otherwise the paint will bubble and have a hair dryer handy in the event you apply it too thick and it starts to run the hair dryer will make it a bit better drying it quick too. Then work each layer up a grit lightly until reaching 3000 grit. Just my experience from refinishing guitars.

It is hard work but if your patient can look just as good as any factory paint job if not better because if you get it to 3000 grit it's gonna really shine and you should see your reflection in it.

Oh and one last bit of advice would be to bondo fill the dents if you can't bang them out.

Sorry for running over ya with advice but I get excited to see what other peoples work looks like when it comes to finishing something. I tend to be fascinated by the craftsmanship people put into something. Kind of like when I see someone finish a guitar or a gun stock and grips. It really is an art form.

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
I was tempted to buy a quart of PPG before I left Az for the Bird , but needed to paint the hood of my Silverado just days before I loaded it on the container. ( paint still wasnt completley dry 6 weeks later when it got over here, LOL) I used PPG Omni Enamel ( el Cheapo $25 a Quart) even though the original was lacquer/ clearcoat, it still matched really good.

I dont know what prices are over here, but probally higher like everything else. I like using enamel cause of the cost and ease of application. ( once and done)

I may just paint the top red if the price is good and stripe or pinstripe the area between the top and side in case they are off a little.

No biggy , just about everyone is poor over here and drive junkers anyway:) I just want a car to wax and shine once in a while..............:D

Evilcowboy420

Dude don't pull that trim off just yet cause it leaves some ugly rivets sticking out that would need to be angle grinded down and sanded to get it flush and it still looks a little funny without it mainly because of the bumpers matching the trim so closely. If it is pulling away I would try to figure out how to glue it back. But if the trim not being there won't bother you then start pulling. They usually wear down and come away from the car just like cavaliers did.

I just wish they would have thought of something a bit different with the trim so it stayed on better and used better material most of that trim I have seen gets sun faded badly over time too.

Oh and @92 Sunbird LE sounds like a plan. Prices suck all over no matter where you go. Sometimes I think back to when my mom use to send me to the store with a note to buy her cigarettes for 75 cents and gas was 89 cents a gallon. Although there are older people that remember much cheaper prices than those it still makes you wish for the old days when a couple of bucks actually mattered.

I'm gonna yank my side trim eventully. Was thinking somebody might want it.

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
Mine (Side Trim and everyone I seen at the Junkyard) was just 3M taped on from the factory..........................

Mine is from another car I found in AZ and brought with me. The original was red.........................Doug in P.R. :cool:

TrojanMan

Oregonia
I remember going to the store for my mom when cigarettes were fifty cents a pack. When they went up to 55 I had a hell of a time getting there with that extra dime so I would come back for another and mom would be pissed!

Evilcowboy420

lol yeah when I run out of cigarette money nowdays everyone hands me that shit "well if you can't afford the habit why did you start" and I just calmly look at them and say "well smart ass when I started smoking they were 20 bucks a carton for camels so I could afford it then. The problem lies in left wing liberalists crying about every tree that falls or every cigarette that gets lit." lol

Just like I remember my old man going to the store and buying a ruger .38 and walking out with it the same day. Then some idiots started crying about how if there are no more guns then suddenly everyone would cease to commit crimes and we would all live in a world of rainbows lollipops and unicorns. Ahhh leftists kill me. But at least I can have a gun with a key and a magazine empty and bullets in a safe so I can ask any would be intruder hey wait until I get ready before attempting to kill me. Yeah right I would assume break the law in that department and live since I can only make the mistake of not defending myself once.

See got me on a rant lol sorry for the outburst lol.

I remember going to the store for my mom when cigarettes were fifty cents a pack. When they went up to 55 I had a hell of a time getting there with that extra dime so I would come back for another and mom would be pissed!

TrojanMan

Oregonia
Lollipops will rot your teeth!!! When I moved to Idaho in 1995, you could still get leaded gasoline and there was a gas station where you could buy alcohol, tobacco, firearms, and explosives all on the same ticket! I loved that place!!!

I have an axe by the front door and a 2x4 propped under the door knob. And other things around the place if I get to them first. You don't wanna wake me up at night unless I know you're coming. lol Baby monitors bring the world inside. Highly specialized listening computers tuned to mischievous noises are also extremely effective. We call them dogs. LOL

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
Today was repair day as the "other half " used the "bird to go down into town Friday AM and scrapped the exhaust on the concrete gulley out the driveway.

It just knocked the gasket out of alignment, a 10 minute repair with some goop since its a little worn on one side and now leak free. ( spring loaded )

Fixed the crack in the "nose panel " also today with epoxy and screen while I was fixing a hammer handle that had come loose cutting the gulley down so "we" don't scrape the exhaust again.

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
Wife took the bird on the longest trip so far since the trans replacement / timing belt to Ponce to go grocery shopping . No problems other than it stalled once on the way there, ran better on the way back. It has been idling bad the last few weeks, since the timing belt broke. I put some STP fuel injection cleaner in just before she took it on the long trip, so it must of worked since it runs alot better now.:)

Yesterday I fixed the crack in the front bumper with epoxy I had from Pep Boys. And I finally added some floor mats since the cheap felt carpet is getting worn on the drivers side. Rewired the cooling fan since the wires under the dash that I tapped into started to get burned or hot .The fan runs all the time and the ignition wires could't handle the amps. I rather have it run all the time then hope it does..........;)

On a lighter side , I had to use the Bird as a farm vehicle on Friday as the foreman didnt come in till latter, I transported guys from the field to the entrance ( some rode out back in the trunk) , drove through the aisles of weeds ( just like the old "field car" days ) and other things. All the guys thought it was funny......................:).

Thats all for now...............Doug in P.R.:cool:

Evilcowboy420

Doe she still idle rough?? I ran some techron through my system but the EGR was clogged throwing the idle off and I am still gonna end up doing a TBI rebuild because of a slight change in idle that I can tell is there.

I hear ya about the fan I actually picked up a toggle switch (20amp) to put it to so I can switch it on and off when I want. Being up here in NY during winter you hardly ever want that thing running.

Glad to hear the trans seems to be working out well. I can't remember was it a trans swap or a trans rebuild? Just kind of curious. Also was wondering at what mileage the trans failed at?

Where I'm from a Ford Pinto can be a farm vehicle lol. Although I can kind of picture the whole driving through fields with it. you know what helps using it as a farm car is if you slap a 4X4 sticker on it that will most certainly give it the horse power and torque to easily drive through fields lol.