• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Moving to P.R.

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
I really meant after sitting awhile:D............................ Thanks Jeff, no heater required ( mines disconnected ) but I could of used it the a couple of Fridays ago. I worked 6 hours in the cold rain that came from a cold front from the states. Having no heater sucked right then. I think I'll get me one of those plug in the lighter ones for next time...........:)

I came home in plugged in a space heater I brought from AZ to warm up. I have no hot water as of yet to take a hot shower either. So cold all day untill I turned my little heater on.............:(

Doug in P.R.:cool:

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
Late November -December Update:

Not much done on the old 'Bird, Painted the exhaust manifold with some High heat BBQ paint, ( no more rusty look)

Other than that, just a emission test today as the reg expires on the 31st.

Idle HC ppm allowed : 400 Results : 184

Mid RPM HC ppm allowed : 350 Results: 181

Idle CO% allowed: 2.5 Results: .76

Mid RPM CO% allowed: 2.0 Results: .81

This is with a hollowed out convertor and no charcoal canister hooked up.

EGR is hooked up on this test and a vacumn leak was fixed, and the plugs gapped correctly compared to last year's test.

Now with 2K more miles............. ( idle numbers are worse than last years numbers)

Last years Numbers:

HC ppm: 1st read - allowed 400 - read 79

2nd read - allowed 350 - read 97

CO% : 1st read - allowed 2.5 - read 0.72

2nd read - allowed 2.0 - read 0.85

Work is slow ,so no dough to paint some more................:(

Till next month............... Doug in P.R. :cool:

Last edited:

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
Jan , Feb, March 2015 Updates:

Been pushing to get the outside of the house stuccoed before the hot summer arrives, so no time to update. I only have a little left to do and I'm currently on vacation so here we go.....................;);)

Jan 2015 :

Nothing to report, all was well that month.............:)

Feb 2015:

Had a iguana climb on the trunk lid one warm day at work and scratch the heck out of it so I had to repaint the black. Took a while to blend in the scratches since he had big claws and they were deep. He must of been blind thinking the "Bird was a mate or something.............:confused: I had some of everything I used to roll on the Rustoleum, so it was a quick job after the sanding. Other than that, the rest of the month was non eventfull.

March 2015 :

Where do I start? ( it makes up for the other 2 months :mad:)

Ok , early in the month I had the R-Rear tire develop a slow leak, finally took it off found a tack and a construction screw in it. the tack wasnt deep but the screw was. A quick plug from the kit out of the truck and it was back on in a half an hour.

Later in the month I had some starting problems ,just would crank but not fire. Then had to jump it to get going, finally it just quit running allthogether and wouldnt even jump anymore.

I suspected the starter, took it out ( what a hassle to do) and took it to Autozone. They tested on their machine ( I did at home on my battery charger and it quit turning after a few times) and the girl came back and shook it and found that it was completely gone on the inside. That in turn shorted out the battery and it died completely also.

Got a Duralast starter for $ 77 and installed it ( another Pain!) jumped it and parked the car.I also got another ignition switch under warranty since one terminal was loose and a wire to it got loose and burnt and I had to make a new wire for it.

Battery was a Bosch with an 8 year warranty with a Dec 2012 build date. They were mostly out of stock on batteries at Walmart but had 1 Valuepower one left at $62 but it has less cranking amps then the Bosch.

I said what the heck, I'll try to warranty the battery at Pep Boys who sells them. The previous owner had gone there for most of the work on the car so they said they would warranty it. ( they had my name on file from AZ)
I ended up paying $62 + change for a $121 battery.I had to wait a week after the starter buy to afford the battery, so the "Bird sat idle.

Finally picked up some Duplicolor Perfect Match paint for the car. Painted one door jam and 2 door spots to try it out. Close match on the door jam but more like 10 feet on the doors as the red on the car has darkened over the 23 years. Probally will finish it this way to get the rest of the car done. Clearcoated it with Rustoleum Crystal Clear enamel , just got to wetsand it with 1000 grit to blend it in. Pics below......

Thats all for now ,more painting for next month if the rain continues to stay away...............:)

Attachments

Last edited:

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
April May June 2015 update:

Been busy painting the 'Bird when I have spare time between house stuff or the wicked wind aint blowing. ( Usually on Sunday mornings before the wind picks up.) Hardley no rain at all except yesterday and today.
in the last 3 months.

Got the tail section done ( which made the taillights smaller looking) rear bumper, both quater panels and door sections. Currently working on the bumper 1/2 inch moulding that were cracked and peeling . Had peel off the vinyl covering and chrome underneath that. then the mounting tape on the back side. Looks like they ( GM) reused some leftover chrome moulding from the 80's cars:rolleyes: and recoated the chrome with red vinyl.

Decided to paint the fender wheel arches like the 80's Turbo GT Sunbirds but like the 70 Oldsmobile W30 442 cars also.

Still have to do the front bumper and front fender arches yet , then buff out the hood, trunk and roof.

Cars been running fine but the sway bar bushings , struts , and right rear motor mount and right trans axle seal need attention real soon .

I also had to buy new front floor mats ( worn through and the vinyl backing all cracked ) Instead of buying a new set , I just got 2 black rubber house mats at Walmart for $6 .

Thats all for now.........Doug in P.R.:cool:

Attachments

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
Thanks , and a lot of carefull taping too, Mel....................;)

Another new wheel and hubcap look coming soon also.........

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
7 month update :

Alot has happened since my last post so lets see if I can remember it all....

If you read the Ventura forums, you can recall my dilemma I discussed with Frederic on the "bird dying on me.

After 2 weeks of messing with it I found that the wiring bulkhead connector near the cowl had come loose and was not letting the the fuel pump and fuel rail primer to operate . After chasing the problem for 2 weeks that included taking out the tank, the fuel pump, the dash, the module , computor and chasing wires, I was glad it was solved.

While I was at it, I replaced the right front motor mount, ( warranty) right axle seal, right inner CV boot, oil pressure sender,sway bar bushings and end links. Fixed some frayed wires and sheathing underneath the car while i was there also.Rewired the instrument cluster and changed the blown out bulbs also.

Also replaced the spark plug wires and plugs as one of the wires was rusted and the old Delco plugs were old as well. Upgraded to Autolite platinum plugs.

After the Bird was down a month, it was great to have it back on the road again. Finally finished the painting, installed the Fiero center caps I got off Ebay ( painted them silver ) and painted the wheels black for that "Copo" look.

I had to repair the a-pillers again as the rust was coming back, rerolled the top of the car black again after the repair

Did the headlight conversion also so all 4 of the lights come on now when the high beams are on.

Passed emissions in December, was the best readings I've had in 4 years with the new plugs and wires.

The plugged tire I did a while back started to leak again , so after replugging it a couple of times, I finally took it to my wife's cousin's tire shop and had it patched.

Just turned 139k last week and its running like a top!

Thats all for now till the next update..............:)

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Wow that sure kept you busy. I was amazed that you have to go for emissions inspections. Are there that many cars that air pollution had become noticeable?

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
Dont know why either Mel, most old cars burn oil like mosquito sprayers anyway.

Its supposed to be like NY inspections but they dont check lights and the other stuff, just the sniffer test. Its amazing that the old Bird passes easy with a gutted convertor.

Most newer cars that come in while I'm there, are running rich.....:eek:

Next up : Struts and A/C ......................................:D

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
March / April 2016 Update:

Not much to report other than I finally got both front struts replaced. I reused the original front springs with new upper strut bearings- bushings, with new bumpers and covers also. ( never had them from the factory) Hopefully this will last another 139 k miles. I believe these were the original ones as the stock factory assembly stickers were still on the top of the bushings- bearings .

The front sits up a little higher than the back now so I'll probally put some mini footballs in the rear springs to pick up the rear a bit instead of changing springs. ( old drag racing trick);)

Haven gotten to A/C yet , now it raining alot more and humid in the last couple weeks so I'll have to wait a little for some drier air to open it up to change to the 134a Orings.

Been running great with no issues:) Till the next update, Doug in P.R.:cool:

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
Hi Doug thanks for the update, you will have to post some pictures of your mini football trick.

That may catch on over here.

Will do.......... when they arrive.;) ( cant seem to find any footballs over here):confused:

Drag racers do use them over there....it keeps the front end straight when launching, usually they put them in the right rear only but use full size footballs. Sunbird springs are way smaller than ABody and GBody GM cars thats why I need mini ones.

Here's a Pic........

Attachments

Last edited:

EaOutlaw

Will do.......... when they arrive.;) ( cant seem to find any footballs over here):confused:

Drag racers do use them over there....it keeps the front end straight when launching, usually they put them in the right rear only but use full size footballs. Sunbird springs are way smaller than ABody and GBody GM cars thats why I need mini ones.

Here's a Pic........

That is too cool and very creative.

Are the Mini ones your looking for like this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Wilson-Mini-Replica-Game-Football/dp/B00004TQ2P?ie=UTF8&keywords=mini leather football&qid=1461807536&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1